PDA

View Full Version : Fret Saw/Dovetails

Gil Knowles
12-05-2009, 1:20 PM
Hi
I am going to purchase a fret saw from LV for cutting the waste on dovestails and am wondering what size of blades I should purchase.

Many Thanks
Gil

Scott Stafford
12-05-2009, 1:33 PM
I use Skip Tooth #5 - 12.5 tpi - .038 width

John Keeton
12-05-2009, 2:19 PM
I use the same as Scott - not sure about the #5, but it is 12.5 tpi and .038, so I assume that is a #5.

Bruce Page
12-05-2009, 2:47 PM
Ditto here. I have Rob Cosman's fret saw. I like the handle on it better.

John Coloccia
12-05-2009, 5:44 PM
Aside from the handle, anyone know how it compares to Woodcraft's fret saw? I have the Woodcraft saw and it's junk in my opinion. The frame just bends and I can never really tension the blade properly. I'm just wondering if they're all like this and it's a good saw after all (i.e. I don't know what I'm doing) or if there really are better frames out there.

Bruce Page
12-05-2009, 6:02 PM
John, I haven't had any issues tensioning the Cosman - if that's the one you are asking about.

Don Dorn
12-05-2009, 6:32 PM
I have the Woodcraft saw and think it's the same one Cosman uses - he just tapes up the handle. Everything looks identical to me. To tension it, I use his method in loosing the front, placing the blade in and pulling the frame apart to get as much manual tension as possible. Then, just start turning the front tension knob and it responds accordingly.

This saw business is tough for me. Perhaps it's because I've been doing it ala Frank so long with chisels. My issue is that when I remove the majority of the waste with a fret saw, there is nothing substantial left to get to the marking gauge line. I'm used to it all being there and chopping back to the line - but the support remains until it finally gives way.

I saw a simple jig that Derek posted on his site that I'll make and give that a whirl. The fret saw is faster, but for now, it's offset by the loss of time fiddling with getting the remainder out without messing up behind the marking gauge line.

John Keeton
12-05-2009, 9:15 PM
I believe Cosman's saw is the Olson, although I got mine from Craftsman Studio - http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/C018002D.htm

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/images_p/C018002D.jpg