PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Cabinet Pics

Dan Gill
10-05-2004, 11:06 AM
They are finally installed! This was my first time to build kitchen cabinets. I did it all, including the doors and the butcher block top for the microwave stand. That was planned as only 18 inches deep, so I had to make my own top for it or pay for an entire 8 foot section of laminate. I just hate to cover it up with the microwave!

I still have the mouldings and toe kick to put in.

Jim Becker
10-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Outstanding, Dan. You did a great job on the cabinets. And yes...it's too bad the MW will be covering up that nice surface!

Pete Lamberty
10-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Great job Dan! They look very nice. I too like the wood top on the microwave stand. How long did the whole project take you to build?

Ed Moehlenpah
10-05-2004, 11:14 AM
very very nice. I hope mine turn out as nice as yours did.
Ed

Dan Gill
10-05-2004, 11:16 AM
I think it has been six months since I first started gathering the wood. Longer than I expected, but I had to do a bit of framing, rocking, mudding and painting, too. I moved a closet wall to recess the refrigerator, then added the wall behind and to the side of the microwave stand, and extended a closet. Plus, I had to replace the rock behind all of the lower cabinets and some of the upper, replace the oven, sink, and dishwasher. It's a 40-year-old tract house and the rock was pretty beat up.

I made the face frames first, then the doors, and finally the carcasses. This kept my garage/shop as open as possible for as long as possible. While I was building the carcasses, I had to rent a storage building to put them in until I was ready to install.

Jerry Olexa
10-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Excellent work! Great job!

Brad Schmid
10-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Outstanding job indeed! Well done.
cheers,
Brad

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Outstanding job Dan and sounds like you had it well planned too!

Dan Gill
10-05-2004, 12:06 PM
I did a lot of planning, but no plan survives contact with the enemy. Case in point: our barely two-year-old oven went kaput after I had started building the cases for the other side of the kitchen. Repair would cost nearly as much as a new oven, and the only oven that would fit the original cabinet was the one that died. So . . . I switched over and built the boxes for the oven side, and we lived without an oven for a few weeks.

We adapt.

Betsy Yocum
10-05-2004, 1:17 PM
I think it has been six months since I first started gathering the wood. Longer than I expected, but I had to do a bit of framing, rocking, mudding and painting, too. I moved a closet wall to recess the refrigerator, then added the wall behind and to the side of the microwave stand, and extended a closet. Plus, I had to replace the rock behind all of the lower cabinets and some of the upper, replace the oven, sink, and dishwasher. It's a 40-year-old tract house and the rock was pretty beat up.

I made the face frames first, then the doors, and finally the carcasses. This kept my garage/shop as open as possible for as long as possible. While I was building the carcasses, I had to rent a storage building to put them in until I was ready to install.
Isn't doing the face frames first putting the "carcass" before the horse?:D

Looks great - the family should be happy - hope mine turn out so nice!

Betsy

Jim Fancher
10-05-2004, 1:59 PM
Excellent job on the cabinets. What are some of the specs like wood species and router bit set used, etc.

Love those raised panels. I have yet to make one and I'm dying to try it.

John Miliunas
10-05-2004, 2:25 PM
Super job, Dan! :D Man, that's a LOT of cabinets to build and keep straight! I'd have numbers running into each other in my head and screw something up BIG time! :rolleyes: Looks real nice. Great wood choice and it looks like you gave your router table (or shaper) a good workout with all those raised panels! :)

BTW, Betsy, I too have built most ALL of my cabinets, doing the face-frames first, largely for the same reason! Great space-saver! Plus, when doing the recent bathroom project, we were able to simulate the visual impact by "mocking up" the frames and seeing if we needed to make aesthetic changes before building the actual boxes. :) Worked out quite well. :cool:

Dave Right
10-05-2004, 2:44 PM
A TERRIFFIC JOB ! Looks great!

Dan Gill
10-05-2004, 3:55 PM
Super job, Gil! :D Man, that's a LOT of cabinets to build and keep straight! I'd have numbers running into each other in my head and screw something up BIG time! :rolleyes:

Oh, I screwed up many times. I just managed to make it work each time. It was very hard to get good measurements while the old cabinets were in place. Because of that, I ended up about 1/4 too long on the cabinets over the stove and refrigerator. I had to plane the face frames down to make it work.

On the sink side, I had to join two pieces of countertop. Unfortunately, I got in a hurry to get SOME cabinets installed and get my sink working, so I put in the long piece before I had the last base cabinet built. Only later did I realize I couldn't get to the connector slots without removing the long piece of laminate. Clamps, screws, and glue made it almost seamless, though.

I won't tell you about the shelf that's 3/4 inch lower on one end because . . . OOPS!

Lou Morrissette
10-05-2004, 4:00 PM
Great job, Dan! They look terrific.:D

Dick Parr
10-05-2004, 5:15 PM
Outstanding job Dan. Looks great.

Chris Padilla
10-05-2004, 7:15 PM
Very nice work and I commend the patience of your SO! Mine would divorce me at the time it would take me to do all that work although I'd happily do it...assuming the divorce wouldn't result. :)

Ralph Morris
10-05-2004, 8:44 PM
Be u it ful work! No need to tell us the mistakes! We all do! I'm building mine already and very slow on it. I only do it on weekends (part of the time), I'm in no hurry to get it done right now as I'm really planning to have it all done around spring time to rip out the old ones and work on the walls. Sure I have made mistakes here and there but I kinda made it work too. Five stars for your work!:D ;) :cool:

Ralph

Betsy Yocum
10-05-2004, 9:27 PM
Super job, Gil! :D Man, that's a LOT of cabinets to build and keep straight! I'd have numbers running into each other in my head and screw something up BIG time! :rolleyes: Looks real nice. Great wood choice and it looks like you gave your router table (or shaper) a good workout with all those raised panels! :)

BTW, Betsy, I too have built most ALL of my cabinets, doing the face-frames first, largely for the same reason! Great space-saver! Plus, when doing the recent bathroom project, we were able to simulate the visual impact by "mocking up" the frames and seeing if we needed to make aesthetic changes before building the actual boxes. :) Worked out quite well. :cool:
You know I really thought that was funny - but then since I've been thinking about it - it really does make sense from a space stand point - learn something new every day!:)

Betsy

JOHN HANCOCK
10-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Beatiful cabinets Dan. I hope mine turn out nearly as well when I start sometime next year. Regarding the butcher block, there is a lot of space between the base and wall cabinet. Could you hang a MW from the wall cabinet, or build a simple support for the MW to leave a space about the size of a tall drawer so you can see the butcherblock and have some beautiful extra counterspace?

Jim Ketron
10-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Nice Job Dan!!
Love that top!
Jim

Bob Wilkerson
10-06-2004, 5:29 AM
Looks very nice. Hope mine turns out as well this winter.....

Jay Knoll
10-06-2004, 7:02 AM
What a wonderful job! As John says, that is a LOT of cabinets, The butcher block counter top is a nice counterpoint to the cabinets,

Jay

Thomas Prondzinski
10-06-2004, 7:09 AM
Nice job Dan,I'll bet LOML is very proud.

Tom

Bob Winkler
10-06-2004, 8:01 AM
BEAUTIFUL! I'm sure you're very proud every time you are in the kitchen. Large projects like this take craftsmanship AND perserverence.;) Awesome!

Bob

Kelly C. Hanna
10-06-2004, 8:40 AM
They look great! Good job, I hope to redo our kitchen someday.

Dan Gill
10-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Could you hang a MW from the wall cabinet, or build a simple support for the MW to leave a space about the size of a tall drawer so you can see the butcherblock and have some beautiful extra counterspace?

We thought of that, but my wife is short and my daughter is shorter. They just couldn't safely reach into a wall-hung microwave and pull out dishes full of hot food. I'm actually going to put in a bookshelf up there for cookbooks. And junk. I'm sure it will fill up with junk.
:D

Dan Gill
10-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Very nice work and I commend the patience of your SO! Mine would divorce me at the time it would take me to do all that work although I'd happily do it...assuming the divorce wouldn't result. :)

Fortunately, I was able to build everything in modules, so we really didn't do without the kitchen for long. And . . . I have a queen for a wife. She has far more patience with me than I deserve.