PDA

View Full Version : GLOAT...kinda, sorta...

Harold Burrell
12-05-2009, 12:50 PM
This is actually an ongoing, ever-changing gloat. And it is also a "heads up" to you all if it happens to be available in your local HD's.

I am making it a regular habit to stop in at my "local" HD and do a walk thru for deals (you know, closeouts etc.). BUT, I am also making it a habit to checkout their selection of cull lumber. It seems they regularly cut up stock that has been damaged, or whatever, into snaller pieces and sell them GREATLY reduced. Regularly, I can pickup 4-5' 2x4's for $.51 each. Sometimes I am even treated to 2x10's and 2x12's for the same price.

Today, however, I came upon 1/2" MDF. 2'x4' sheets for $1.01. I bought 6. I also got some 1x6 poplar for $.51.

I'm happier than a pig in slop.

Myk Rian
12-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I look there also. Lately, our store hasn't had much to offer.
The better stuff seems to never make it to the cart.

Harold Burrell
12-05-2009, 1:30 PM
I look there also. Lately, our store hasn't had much to offer.
The better stuff seems to never make it to the cart.

I just met the guy that actually does all of the cutting, etc. I'm thinking that he might be a good guy to get to know.

You know...introduce him to the family...have him over for dinner...get him something for Christmas...

Aaron Berk
12-05-2009, 2:56 PM
I just met the guy that actually does all of the cutting, etc. I'm thinking that he might be a good guy to get to know.

You know...introduce him to the family...have him over for dinner...get him something for Christmas...

:D:D:D I think your onto something there Harold LOL

Scott Hildenbrand
12-05-2009, 5:59 PM
I do believe you deserve a You Suck image... If even a smaller version.. ;)

I've got to make a habit of checking with my local BORG and lumber yard.. But only issue is, if they have anything of worthwhile size, I have no way of getting it home myself.

I need a truck.. Or a hitch and a trailer.

Regardless, good deal.. :D

Carroll Courtney
12-05-2009, 6:12 PM
One by me sucks and not in a good way.Seems that they change brands alot,while one HD has plywood at one price,the one by me has the same thing but at a higher price.I was told that its because of different mangers.But one thing they do have in common is that their cabinet grade plywood "SUCKS" and not in a good way.But like you,I still go by there just to look---Carroll

Michael Schapansky
12-05-2009, 6:41 PM
Since I didn't know that HD HAD a cutoffs area I will be going by there regularly from now on. I shall also check Lowes across the street. This is good info and I can see some smaller projects coming out of this. Thank you!

Joe Wiliams
12-05-2009, 7:44 PM
I just recently found that section too... Picked up 25 pieces of 2x6x4' cedar decking for $1.01 each :) There's a lot of knots but will work for a couple planned projects.

Jim Rimmer
12-05-2009, 8:05 PM
Since I didn't know that HD HAD a cutoffs area I will be going by there regularly from now on. I shall also check Lowes across the street. This is good info and I can see some smaller projects coming out of this. Thank you!
I didn't know they had one. Where in the store is it typically located?

harry strasil
12-05-2009, 8:13 PM
I used to call my steel suppliers to check cutoffs, I bought so much they sent me a weekly list of what was available.

harry strasil
12-05-2009, 8:14 PM
I also learned that steel companies charge you for a full sheet if you order a half a sheet of something, then sell the cutoffs to someone else.

Myk Rian
12-05-2009, 8:50 PM
I didn't know they had one. Where in the store is it typically located?
In the lumber department, usually on a cart in the middle of an aisle.

Ryan Baker
12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
In the lumber department, usually on a cart in the middle of an aisle.

Maybe this expains why if you turn your back on your cart for a few seconds, someone will run off with the stuff on your cart -- sometimes the whole cart. I've seen that happen a remarkable number of times. It's right up there with stealing your cart in the grocery store. :confused:

kevin loftus
12-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Maybe this expains why if you turn your back on your cart for a few seconds, someone will run off with the stuff on your cart -- sometimes the whole cart. I've seen that happen a remarkable number of times. It's right up there with stealing your cart in the grocery store. :confused:

Now that's funny,:D:D:D
Sorry for laughing Ryan if it's really happened to you.:(