PDA

View Full Version : dust collection

John Powers
12-05-2009, 11:24 AM
I capture dust at the bandsaw and table saw but there's the fine stuff that settles. Anyone have experience with one of those little cyndrical ones that Lee Valley and Woodcraft sell that you can move or strap to the ceiling. they're about $120.00. Maxed out on power now so I'm juggling what power I have. thanks

Philip Rodriquez
12-05-2009, 12:20 PM
You suffer from a common problem that, unfortunately, has many solutions.

In my own tool evolution, I purchased a JDS-750ER from Craigslist. I think I paid $125.00... It did an effective job filtering the air and I was happy with it. However, after several months, I decided to go ahead and purchase an overarm blade guard (Excalibur), and I was amazed at the difference. The above and below dust collection has eliminated the vast majority of my dust.

IMHO, I think the best bang for your buck is adding an overarm blade-guard to your TS. This is because the best defense from airborne dust as preventing it.

After that, add an air cleaner. The exact size of air-cleaner completely depends on the size of your shop. With that said, I have read that many people have had great success with simply using a box fan with a furnace filter attached to it.