PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom cabinet PIC

Brad Schmid
10-05-2004, 8:49 AM
Here's a pic of a cherry bathroom cabinet I just finished last night. Before I ask a question, I'd like to give a little history...

The Cherry was sent to me by LOML's grandfather about 2 years ago. He lives in Western Pennsylvania and he's 90 years old. It was locally milled lumber that he had been saving in his basement for several years. He's been a woodworker all his life, and even at age 90, he's still actively making and selling his items at local craft shows. Being the only other woodworker in the family, we've struck a common bond over the past 20 years and he's been very generous to me with experience, tools, and wood. And so it was, he sent this stock (~22 bft) down to Texas with my wife's parents on one of their trips. I've been wanting to make something that he would enjoy seeing, and that we would see every day and think of him. So, this is what I came up with...

The M&T's on the doors are through pegged (square) with cocobolo, the knobs were turned using some leftover crotch walnut, the doors use Blum 120 deg inset hinges. size is 25"W x 31"H x 8"D.

Now for the question, do you think I should put a cove moulding or something at the top? or does the "plain" look work ok?

I should have taken the pics before putting in the bathroom where the light is bad...
Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Brad

Lee Schierer
10-05-2004, 8:55 AM
That's an excellent piece. Great story about the wood too. I wish my grandfather could see some of the stuff I'm doing now. Its good that you can make things with him while he is around. I still use my grandfathers hand plane and think of him at times when I'm using it.

Donnie Raines
10-05-2004, 9:04 AM
Very nice design! The wood looks wonderful, too!

Nice story!

Bill Grumbine
10-05-2004, 9:11 AM
Brad, that is a beautiful piece of work, and plain works well. I would not mess with it any more, it looks great! Great story too.

Bill

Jack Hogoboom
10-05-2004, 9:15 AM
Brad,

Great story. Don't change a thing. It looks great as is.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Jim Becker
10-05-2004, 9:17 AM
"Wonderful" seems to be the operative word here, Brad. I'm with the others. Leave it alone. And a crown will conflict with that angled ceiling line, too.

Douglas Robinson
10-05-2004, 9:47 AM
BTW: What was your finish?

Ted Shrader
10-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Brad -

Great story to go along with the beautiful piece. Don't "cove" it up, it looks great just as it is.

Question: What did you finish it with?

Great Work!
Ted

John Miliunas
10-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Looks great, Brad! :) "If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it!" :D I think you did your grandfather-I-L's gift a lot of justice! He'll be proud of you, me thinks! :cool:

Gredo Goldenstein
10-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Beautiful work! I am agreement with the others. Leave it as is.

Brad Schmid
10-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Thank you everybody, I appreciate your very generous comments.

The finish was honey amber dye sealed with a 2# cut garnet dewaxed shellec, followed by cherry gel stain rubbed out, 2# cut garnet shellac for the topcoat, 0000 steel wool and paste wax. Since it's in an interior bathroom with no windows, I knew it wasn't going to age much on it's own with so little light, thus the decision for this "instant aging" finishing process. I also considered a pre-cat lacquer topcoat but decided against it because it's a secondary bathroom with none of the typical bathroom chemicals (read non-harsh environment). To me, there's something about a shellac/wax finish that "feels right".

BTW - it's not really as orange as what the pic might show. that's mostly a result of bad photography ;)
cheers,
Brad

Michael Stafford
10-05-2004, 2:24 PM
The cabinet is "plainly" beautiful as is. Great wood, excellent craftsmanship married into a beautiful piece...

Jim Fancher
10-05-2004, 4:07 PM
Another vote for "leave it alone!" :D It's beautiful as is.

It's nice to see another woodworker close to home. I'm in Copperfield near 6 and 529.

Steve Clardy
10-05-2004, 4:44 PM
Looks nice just as it is.

Steve

Dennis Peacock
10-05-2004, 4:47 PM
Excellent piece Brad!!! Very well done!!!! Congrats on your relationship and it's always nice to have another ww'er in the family....no matter what the age is. :D

Mike Scoggins
10-05-2004, 5:14 PM
Very nice, Brad! It turned out great. I knew that it would based on the pre-finished peek the other day. The piece is even more special knowing the source of the cherry. I'm sure that's one that will be around for a long time.

I'm having trouble with envy and coveting as of late :) -- particularly when I pull up in the driveway and see all the fun you're having making such nice pieces with cool new tools, etc. :D

Again, great job!
Mike

Chris Padilla
10-05-2004, 7:06 PM
Purty and I say yer all done! Should patina up nicely over the years....

Jerry Olexa
10-05-2004, 8:44 PM
Brad really fine work and more important, the great relationship you have with your grand father. He sounds like a good man and you are also to do this extraordinary work and he can see it. its a result of both your efforts, You both should be very PROUD!!

Ralph Morris
10-05-2004, 8:55 PM
Aw! Great story and great workmanship!:)

Ralph

Ron Jones near Indy
10-05-2004, 9:26 PM
Another vote to leave this beautiful piece as is!

Jason Tuinstra
10-06-2004, 9:38 AM
Brad, great looking project. The cherry looks great with the pegged joints and walnut knobs. Thanks for sharing.

David Hayes
10-06-2004, 9:53 AM
Brad,
The cabinet looks great. The finish highlights the figure of the wood. Like the others - I vote to leave it as is.
Dave

Brad Schmid
10-06-2004, 3:04 PM
Another vote for "leave it alone!" :D It's beautiful as is.

It's nice to see another woodworker close to home. I'm in Copperfield near 6 and 529.

Jim - there's getting to be quite an SMC contingency out here in the West Houston 'burbs. I'm not too awful far from you in the Grand Parkway/I-10 area.

Cheers,
Brad