PDA

View Full Version : RAS Table

Dick Brown
12-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Have been asked to put a table on a 10" RAS for a local charity organization that they had donated to them minus table. As I don't own one, would like input from fellow Creekers on size, features and such. They gave me a large desk top (veneered MDF) to see if it would work.
Have some ideas?
Thanks,
Dick

tyler mckee
12-04-2009, 10:54 PM
mine is just 3/4 inch mdf, doubled up. Sized to fit the saw. fence is just a piece of 3/4" mdf on edge, and is easy to replace as it gets worn out. the main table is bolted to the saw and the back portion of the table and fence get clamped in against the table.

Not my picture but mine is similar

Gerry Werth
12-04-2009, 11:05 PM
The desk top will probably make a very nice saw table. Is it flat and at least 1" thick? Is it a Craftsman? If yes, you could go to Sears.com Parts central with a model number, and find the top, maybe with dimensions. If I remember correctly, and it has been some time since I have had a RAS, the top is three pieces. The front main table is about 18-20" wide(deep) by 30-36" long(wide). Wider is better in my opinion. The back table is about 8" wide, or wide enough to clamp the fence between the front and rear table, and have the saw completely behind the fence. the fence should be 1.5- 2" higher than the top of the table, 1.5 is usually enough. The fence piece doesn't need to be 1" thick, but if you have enough material, that will work as long as it is very straight, as you would expect a fence to be. Good luck with the project, it's not too complicated.

tyler mckee
12-05-2009, 12:07 AM
The desk top will probably make a very nice saw table. Is it flat and at least 1" thick? Is it a Craftsman? If yes, you could go to Sears.com Parts central with a model number, and find the top, maybe with dimensions. If I remember correctly, and it has been some time since I have had a RAS, the top is three pieces. The front main table is about 18-20" wide(deep) by 30-36" long(wide). Wider is better in my opinion. The back table is about 8" wide, or wide enough to clamp the fence between the front and rear table, and have the saw completely behind the fence. the fence should be 1.5- 2" higher than the top of the table, 1.5 is usually enough. The fence piece doesn't need to be 1" thick, but if you have enough material, that will work as long as it is very straight, as you would expect a fence to be. Good luck with the project, it's not too complicated.

Also i believe craftsman had a recall on some models, if you have one i think you can get a new table, gaurd and whatever else is in the recall package.

www.radialarmsawrecall.com (http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com)

Aaron Berk
12-05-2009, 12:09 AM
How about this......

If it's an older craftsman just look for the sears ras recall on line and they will mail you a new one along with a blade guard for FREE with instructions. As long as the serial numbers are within their yr range.

Are you looking for measurements as to where to place the table in relation to the vertical post? I can measure all my stuff tomorrow if you need, mine is a Craftsman by the way, and it fell within the recall, lucky me:D cause I got my ras for 5 bucks at a yard sale. works like a champ

Dick Brown
12-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Thanks guys for your input. I would like it if you could give me any measurements that you have, table size, distance from arbor to fence when saw is home, etc. This is a DeWalt saw I believe. They are going to bring it out when they get a chance. May be after Christmas even. I repair things for these folks from time to time to make it saleable and hope it helps someone down the line. They sell the donated stuff or sometimes give it to people that are down on their luck and also run a food bank and sometimes help pay rent with the proceeds.
Merry Christmas!
Dick