PDA

View Full Version : mystery saw

Rob Paul
12-04-2009, 9:30 PM
Can anyone identify this 26" handsaw?
I haven't seen saw screws of this design before. The etched brass dome heads are quite distinctive. Unfortunately the steel is badly pitted and I can't find any identifying etch. [The handle is somewhat similar to a Shurly & Dietrich No 25 "Enterprise" except that my saw has 4 screws].

Any suggestions?

Rob

David Gendron
12-05-2009, 12:51 AM
is the saw bigger than your #25? because I know that disston had some saws in the same model but with shorter saw plate that had 3 screws insted of 4 on the longer saws. So maybe it is the same brand in a bigger modle?!?!

Ray Gardiner
12-05-2009, 7:23 AM
It looks a lot like Wheeler Madden and Clemson #52, at least the handle. This image is from an 1895 catalog.

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/WheelerMaddenClemson52.jpg

Interesting pattern on the screw heads, I wonder if that was standard?

Regards
Ray

Rob Paul
12-06-2009, 5:27 PM
Thanks guys,

David; Good idea, but the S&D catalog saw is only offered in the one same size (26”) as mine

Ray; Thanks. Looks like the Wheeler Madden & Clemson No 52 is a match for the handle. My skewback may be a later model of the straightback saw pictured. [It's interesting that Wheeler Madden & Clemson were bought out by Disston in 1893, but continued to operate under the WM&C label, presumably until they had used up all the old stock parts, and arranged to transfer of all their customers to the Disston product]
Ray, does the handle in the attached picture also feature in your WM&C catalog ?? It has a similar shaped large circular thumb notch for two-handed rip sawing. (This handle was found as a replacement handle on a newer blade.....hence the extra drilling to match holes in the newer blade)

Ray Gardiner
12-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi Rob,

I had a quick look, and there are about 6 models that feature that handle style, one plain, the rest carved in similar fashion to yours, with the wheat pattern.

One has the "star" medallion so we can elimate that as a possibility, that narrows it down to 4 possibilities. A closer look shows that the No 28 has a slightly more open carving pattern, so we are down to the No 999, the No 27 or the No 18.

This one is the 999, but the others look pretty much the same pattern handle. One thing I notice on your handle is the topmost screw looks like it might have been a second medallion, or at least a larger screw.

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/WheelerMaddenClemson999.jpg

Regards
Ray

Rob Paul
12-07-2009, 7:53 AM
Thanks Ray,

The 999 style looks to be a match. My upper medallion drilling is not original, but is a normal screw hole modified for a medallion when the handle was re-used (the original medallion hole didn't match any holes on the newer saw plate)
[A common WS medallion was on the crude re-fit, along with one sawscrew and a steel bolt]