PDA

View Full Version : Bed design critique

Joshua Layne
12-04-2009, 2:44 PM
Hi All,
I had posted earlier about inside dimensions (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=125526) and I think I have that nailed (39"x75" is the nominal twin size - my mattress box will be 40" x 76". I measured some manufactured frames and this looks like it'll work.) I am ready (as soon as my youngest gets over his stomach flu) to do the rough dimensioning on my lumber and so am spending a last little bit of time on the design. Attached are headboard/footboard (2), top (loft) safety rails, lower (normal height) safety rails (for a toddler). I like the cloud lift design and prefer the 'quarter round' look over the 'S curve'. Gaps and safety rail height are in compliance with the national safety standards.

Also included are various views of the headboard/rail assemblies at the bed posts. Comments on any and all aspects would be appreciated.

top view (rough):

headboard/footboard tenon detail:

bed/safety rail tenon/bolt detail:

Thanks in advance for any comments - particularly on tenon design - I've done tenon and mortise work previously, but am no expert.

Jamie Buxton
12-04-2009, 2:59 PM
It's only an esthetic choice, but I prefer to hide the bed bolt heads. You can mill recesses on the inside faces of the rails, and put threads in the posts. The bolt slides in the recess, and screws into the post.

Joshua Layne
12-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi Jamie, thanks for replying (again :P) I agree with you on the hidden bed bolts and I have read the article in FWW by David Fay on how to do that, but I am in a bit of a quandary because not all the posts that have rails have the matching headboard/footboard rails to hide the nut in the mortise. The technique would work great for the main rails. Also, the cutout for the bolt would be visible on the safety rails from the bed ad I cannot imagine that my boys wouldn't screw with them at some point... curiosity is a bit of a family trait. I was thinking about using a locking tenon of some sort (locked by the pressure of the bolts holding the main structural rails in) but I am a little concerned that the angled tenons I show would be strong enough - these would all by dry tenons to allow for bed breakdown (not breaking, that's different)

As a more conventional alternative, I could use the safety rail hardware that rockler?/woodcraft? sell, but it seems out of place with the rest of the joinery on the bed.

Thanks,
Josh

Joshua Layne
12-05-2009, 4:35 PM
upon further deliberation and a design discussion with SWMBO I think the hidden bed bolt idea will work fine on all parts - I will use home-made loose tenons to house the nuts for the one post that doesn't have rails on the footboard (where the ladder goes). Ordered up the stainless hardware from mcMaster a couple minutes ago (nothing like locking a design decision in place)

Anyone have any design critique on the cloud lifts or overall scale?