PDA

View Full Version : Free Magnets for Shop Jigs

Keith Outten
10-05-2004, 6:24 AM
I'm not sure how many people know this but you can salvage two very strong magnets from an old computer hard drive. Hard drive magnets are very strong , so much so that they can be difficult to remove. Opening the old drive case is a royal pain but worth the effort since the magnets are as powerfull as I have seen for such a small magnet. A small grinder will do the trick, just grind off the screw heads as the allen wrench required to remove the screws is very small and most woodworkers won't have the exact size.

Rich Konopka
10-05-2004, 6:28 AM
Now that is a woodworking Hack if I ever seen one. :cool:

Dave Right
10-05-2004, 9:25 AM
Thanks Keith
Great tip. Can always use magnets no matter what size.

mike lucas
10-05-2004, 9:38 AM
This is a good thing to know, as I have distroyed several hard drives over the years. I normally beat them to death then burn them in the furnace for a few hours. I think this way should get rid of all information on them.:p But now I will take them apart first, to salvage the magnet.:)

Scott Coffelt
10-05-2004, 9:40 AM
Great, now does anyone have any free harddrives :D

Carole Valentine
10-05-2004, 9:49 AM
Keith,
Have you found a simple way to get the backer plate off the magnet? Don't know what they attach it with, but I have not been able to get it off without damaging the magnet itself. Would some sort of solvent do it?