PDA

View Full Version : How to build a wooden tub

Greg Sznajdruk
12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
There was a question on another form on how to build a wooden tub. So here is one of my favourite videos on the subject. You may have some difficulty getting your hands on the power tools in the video. The tub starts about 5 minutes into the video.

Fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KJbRHO76s

Greg

Rob Wright
12-04-2009, 1:43 PM
a good watch! He builds one a day? Wow - I guess when you are an expert - that's how long it takes!

Michael Schumacher
12-04-2009, 2:41 PM
Worth watching - very interesting to see...not the kind of tub I was thinking that was going to be built...

Will Brauneis
12-04-2009, 3:26 PM
Wow what neat old machines and mill. A very interesting video. Any idea when this video was taken? also anyone know a little history about Ben?

Jim Rimmer
12-04-2009, 11:09 PM
That was a fascinating film. I, too, am curious as to when it was filmed.

Bill Huber
12-04-2009, 11:27 PM
That was a great one, I just wish I could spend some time with him and learn a little of the things he knows.

The one thing I did notice was I didn't see his dial indicator anywhere to set up his saws and planer... just must have missed them.:rolleyes:

C Scott McDonald
12-05-2009, 12:19 AM
That was cool thanks for posting that.

I am guessing early 50's maybe?

Glen Butler
12-05-2009, 12:55 AM
I was curious also so I looked it up. Both Wiki and DER Documentaries said it was filmed in 1982. Ben is one tough son of a B.

Greg Sznajdruk
12-05-2009, 2:35 PM
Glen hit it it was made in 1982, Ben came to the mill in 1941. Ben is no longer with us but the mill is now a historic site. They have opened it to the public. so if you find yourself in Vermont take a tour. If you google Ben's Mill there is a lot of info.

Greg

Greg Sznajdruk
12-05-2009, 2:56 PM
This may be the place to ask there is another video out there but I can't find it. Its two old timers in a workshop in Maine. They build a horse drawn sleigh. The walls of the shop are covered with jigs and patterns. The narrator comments on how sharp these two old timers were, their response was if you think we are sharp you should have seen the old boys when we got here. Any one know of this video?

Greg

Glen Butler
12-05-2009, 3:10 PM
This may be the place to ask there is another video out there but I can't find it. Its two old timers in a workshop in Maine. They build a horse drawn sleigh. The walls of the shop are covered with jigs and patterns. The narrator comments on how sharp these two old timers were, their response was if you think we are sharp you should have seen the old boys when we got here. Any one know of this video?

Greg

It is sad how so much of the art of woodworking has been lost with industrialization, commercialization, cnc tools, etc.

Myk Rian
12-05-2009, 4:53 PM
It is sad how so much of the art of woodworking has been lost with industrialization, commercialization, cnc tools, etc.
...and metal tubs.

Leo Vogel
12-05-2009, 5:27 PM
WOW, what a peaceful way of life. I really enjoyed the video. We have an old steam powered sawhill locally that runs some demonstrations in the summer. Really fun to go to. All you hear is the slap of belts, putt, putt, putt, and the whine of the buzz saw.

harry strasil
12-05-2009, 6:59 PM
The one thing I did notice was I didn't see his dial indicator anywhere :

If he had one it probably looked like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/MVC-007S.jpg

Myk Rian
12-05-2009, 7:11 PM

I used to repair those. Started seeing fewer and fewer of them by the time I retired.

Glen Butler
12-05-2009, 7:14 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/MVC-007S.jpg

This youngster doesn't even know what that is. Please explain.

harry strasil
12-05-2009, 7:16 PM
For those that don't know its the original LAST WORD, dial indicator, this shows its replacement.

harry strasil
12-05-2009, 7:18 PM
Glen, I got it at a MWTC show, it was all gummed up and rusty, I boiled it in MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil ) and it works like new.

harry strasil
12-09-2009, 6:32 PM
http://www.folkstreams.net/pub/FilmPage.php?title=187

Dan Friedrichs
12-09-2009, 7:55 PM
Harry, that one is also very interesting. I'm not sure I understand the water-power mechanism for that chainsaw, though :D

Bill Huber
12-09-2009, 9:05 PM
http://www.folkstreams.net/pub/FilmPage.php?title=187

Thanks for that link, another really good one.
I wish I had have know him.

I did find this on the net about Ben and the mill

This water powered mill was built in 1836. Originally for dying fabrics, but quickly became a woodworking shop. Was bought by Ben Thresher in 1947 from Fenton Judkins. Ben operated it until his death in the 1990's. Now is being restored to become a working museum for the purpose of educating all on the operation of water powered mills. Ben's Mill is on the National Historic Register and is owned by a non-profit trust.

Harold Burrell
12-10-2009, 11:22 PM
The one thing I did notice was I didn't see his dial indicator anywhere to set up his saws and planer... just must have missed them.:rolleyes:

I also missed his dust collector and air filtration system. ;)

Seriously...that was an AWESOME video.

Glen Butler
12-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Glen, I got it at a MWTC show, it was all gummed up and rusty, I boiled it in MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil ) and it works like new.

How does it work? Its that leading edge tapered in relation to the pivot in back?