PDA

View Full Version : Strengthening a lid

Joe Von Kaenel
12-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Hello All,

I am just finishing a blanket chest made out of Aspen. I wanted to use Oak, my wife wanted something lighter in weight. It is for her for Christmas.

Anyway, the opening of the chest is 36" X 18". The lid is edge glued and clamped 3/4" wood. We don't plan on stacking anything heavy on the chest, but have 2 young boys. They are not supposed to climb on furniture but at times do. The lid overlaps the sides of the box about 1' on all sides. I plan to use a piano hinge to open and close the chest.

Do I need to reinforce the lit? What is a nice looking way to strengthen the lid? Thanks

Joe

Lee Schierer
12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
That lid will most likely support your weight plus the boys without reinforcement.

Brian Tax
12-04-2009, 12:25 PM
A few years ago I made a chest for my wife out of Aromatic Cedar, the top is just edge glued with biscuits. We sit on it all the time to put our shoes on, it has held up fine for at least 4-5 years.

Joe Von Kaenel
12-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!!!

Joe

Philip Johnson
12-04-2009, 12:55 PM
One of the magazines had a chest in it maybe wood mag...its out in the shop. They put 3 cleats on the inside of the lid. Was just some boards maybe an inch or 2 wide on edge going across the lid, they had rounded the edges nice so didn't look bad. I don't know if you need it for strength
but it may help keep the lid from warping.

Phil

Jamie Buxton
12-04-2009, 12:59 PM
One of the magazines had a chest in it maybe wood mag...its out in the shop. They put 3 cleats on the inside of the lid. Was just some boards maybe an inch or 2 wide on edge going across the lid, they had rounded the edges nice so didn't look bad. I don't know if you need it for strength
but it may help keep the lid from warping.

Phil

Be careful with cross-grain cleats. Do not glue them on. Gluing them on may cause cupping.

Howard Acheson
12-04-2009, 2:02 PM
>>> Be careful with cross-grain cleats. Do not glue them on. Gluing them on may cause cupping.

The next sentence should be: Screw the cleats on using slotted holes.

Kent A Bathurst
12-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Hello All,

........have 2 young boys. They are not supposed to climb on furniture but at times do......

Joe

Good - that is in the job description for young boys. Item 4, para C, right after A: listen to your parents, and B: Try to obey, but don't get carried away.

18" isn't very wide, prolly OK, but you can't go wrong using a few cleats (like 1" x 1" oak) with slotted holes as Howie correctly points out.