PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic secret decoder ring?

Dan Duperron
12-04-2009, 9:02 AM
Mornin'

I apologize if this has been asked before, I did a few searches on the forums and came up empty. Perhaps I just didn't hit on the right search terms.

I'm looking at used PM66 saws and I'm wondering if anyone has a key to the colors vs. years and S/N vs. year. Color would help me instantly tell from pics on eBay, CL, etc. what relative vintage saw I'm looking at. S/N key would help me narrow down further and keep the seller honest.

During my search of the forums one poster commented that the first two digits of the PM66 serial number are the date of manufacture, but looking at the partial key on OWWM that doesn't seem right.

BTW, what year was manufacturing moved overseas and the switch to non-US motors made? My preference is for the PM66 made here, but I could be convinced otherwise.

The PM web site is absolutely lousy unless you are looking for info on a spankin' new machine, which is sad and frustrating. I'll call PM customer service if need be to try to get this info but I have a hunch they won't have much interest in helping me out.

Thanks up front for any help you can give.

-Dan

Tom Slupek
12-04-2009, 10:33 AM
What is the SN and what color is the PM 66 in question. Green is late 70's and earlier, Gold is 80's and mustard is 90's and newer. I believe that manufacturing of the PM66 was moved overseas in the early 90's. If memory serves me well it was somewhere around 1992. OWWM is your best bet.

Trace Beard
12-04-2009, 10:58 AM
My PM 66 was mfg. in 2007 and came with a 5 hp Baldor motor. Good saw.

Dan Lee
12-04-2009, 11:20 AM
My previous '04 was labeled made in the USA and 3HP Baldor

Dan Duperron
12-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Good hint Tom, I looked deeper at OWWM and in the Wiki found both a color/year reference chart and a serial number decoder - very thorough - for all types of PM equipment. Simply search for "Powermatic Paint Color" or "Powermatic Serial Number" and you'll find them.

Thanks for the feedback on "made in the USA" dates, that's helpful too.

Chris Rosenberger
12-04-2009, 2:24 PM
All Powermatic 66s were made in the US.