View Full Version : Ever seen this guy's site?

Dean Maiorano
12-04-2009, 12:09 AM
This guy rocks...I can't wait to finish setting up my garage shop so I can try his fascinating jigs.

http://woodgears.ca/

I'm most interested in his geared table saw mounted box joint jig - he calls it his Screw advance box joint jig. It's found here:

http://woodgears.ca/box_joint/jig.html

My apologies if these links have been posted before, nothing came up when I ran searches on the URLs and the jig names...I'm new here and thought I'd share that little bit of fascination.

Steve Stram
12-04-2009, 12:23 AM
That is just too cool. Has to be an engineer or in school for engineering.

Now, how to get a stepper motor installed with LCD touch screen and.....

Ben Martin
12-04-2009, 12:52 AM

Now, how to get a stepper motor installed with LCD touch screen and.....

In engineering school, when I would ask my research professor a question he would always respond by asking me if I wanted the nickle, $5, $50 or $500 answer.

These appear to be the $500 answer to the nickle question...

Beautiful work and great execution, but MAN, I enjoy building projects, not jigs! :D

Chuck Isaacson
12-04-2009, 12:53 AM
I think that his slot mortiser is just as cool as the box joint jig. I cant imagine the time that he put in to make those things. Kinda makes me want to buy the plans and give it a shot just for kicks.

Chuck

Glen Butler
12-04-2009, 12:57 AM
I wonder if he ever gets time to do any woodworking between all the jigs he makes. :rolleyes:

Andrew Schlosser
12-04-2009, 1:07 AM
Mathias Wendel has all kinds of cool things on the site- check out the marble machines, cider press, and mobile bases. He's really quite ingenius. I've kinda been following him for several years via the website.

Actually, I used his gear profile generator last week to make some wooden monster truck wheels. Really what I needed was a 5" circle divided into 16 increments.

Greg Sznajdruk
12-04-2009, 9:13 AM
If memory serves he is in the Waterloo, Ontario, Canada area. The University of Waterloo is an engineering school. Microsoft usually hires 50 grads a year. Don't know if he is affiliated to the university.

Do know he was involved with the initial design of the Blackberry.

Boy seams to have some smarts.

Greg

Von Bickley
12-04-2009, 1:22 PM

Based on my experience with most engineers, this guy would be too smart to be an engineer. :rolleyes:

Michael Schumacher
12-04-2009, 1:29 PM
That is a cool site - will have to consider building a few things from him...IF time allows...

ROY DICK
12-04-2009, 9:53 PM
Way too many moving parts for me.

Roy

Myk Rian
12-05-2009, 8:20 AM
Based on my experience with most engineers, this guy would be too smart to be an engineer. :rolleyes:
Yeah. He gets things done.:D