PDA

View Full Version : The Creative juices start flowing again.

Chris Hayes
12-03-2009, 11:51 PM
So back in August I got run over by this wonderful economy...well more like laid off because 1 individual had issues with me --a long story that I'd rather not get into right now.

Mentally I flipped the switch to make my job to look for a new job and that's what I've been doing for almost 4 months. Well, a friend of a friend got in touch with me with positions (yes plural..that shocked me too) that seemed to be a fit. After much interviewing, I got to choose the position I thought was most interesting to me. (I've never had that opportunity..ever.)

So with that monkey off my back and much discipline on not playing when I should be working on getting back to work; I was finally able to start getting back out to play behind the lathe -- something I sorely missed (and it was just the other side of the wall from my office).

Since the middle of November I've been able to get out and make a few things. The first piece is one I've posted in the past, but it wasn't finished -- the gumball is Bradford Pear finished with Tung and -now- several coats of lacquer (for the shiny gumball that I wanted). The set of Sierras were/are a commission from a neighbor who wants them for Christmas Gifts--The two outer ones are a "Hawaiian rainforest wood" (if my seller would tell me what it really was I'd tell you all) the second and fourth pens are Black-n-white Ebony. The third/middle pen is spalted Maple from another neighbor's yard (see bigger picture in next post for what it looks like in large form). The third pic is my first attempt at a rollerball kit from WC. I have to say that this has really grown on me --both to write with and to have in hand. The second pen here is an American Twist (also from WC)-- which I absolutely hate. This one is for the neighbor who gave me the Maple -- but it took 4 kits to get this to a functional pen. The hardware was just junk..I -won't- be making that again (besides it uses a Parker insert which I can get on the Sierra's for the same quality of write).

(More)

Greg Just
12-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Welcome back! My job tends to get very stressful at times and I find turning to be a great relief in the evening. Keep up the nice work and enjoy your time at the lathe

Chris Hayes
12-04-2009, 12:08 AM
The final two pieces I've made in the last couple of weeks are bowls or plays on bowls...

The shallow one is about 12 inches in diameter and about 3 inches deep and is figured maple. Believe it or not I actually stared at this blank and told it that I wanted it to look like a miner's pan...and the appropriate amount of very nice smelling maple shavings fell off.

The other bowl is one of the largest pieces I've made to date and I'm VERY happy with the way this came out. It's a piece of crotch wood of the spalted maple. This is like 6 inches deep and about 10 inches in diameter -and because it was unstable as I was turning it (the talon only gave out three times during this turn) it's not as thin as I'd like, but it is impressive to see. I was aiming to have the bark on for a natural rim, but after hitting the ground, I'm lucky there's any left at all (much less the bowl itself). I finished this with thinned out BLO (because it wouldn't take anything else..thanks maple for being so tight grained) and several coats of lacquer.

If you can't tell, I did have a bit of help from a pro-am photographer on how to shoot these last two pictures. I just wasn't able to get things to work for me otherwise...these two pieces just gave me fits to shoot. Thankfully my dad was in town for the holiday and for the price of dinner, I got photography lessons.

Now here's the kicker to all the creativeness...I started this new job and found out that my cube neighbor is a Creeker too. We got talking last week and he made mention of participating on this non-mainstream wood site. So I asked and Whit (Richardson) said sawmillcreek.com -- I could only giggle as I had the site up on my phone's browser. Funny how the planet continues to get smaller...at least around me.

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Those are some good looking pieces. Good to see ya back turning and glad the job came about for you.

David E Keller
12-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Pretty cool grouping of turnings. If I'm not mistaken, the two Hawaiian pens in question are made from spalted signature wood(some people call them autograph trees because you can write on the leaves and people often do). I've turned several of these blanks and they all have the same grain and coloring of the pens you have pictured.

Thanks for posting.

Steve Schlumpf
12-04-2009, 1:23 AM
Chris - glad to hear you are back working and life is getting better!

Real nice group of turnings! Really like the miner's pan! Very pretty wood, great form and photo!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Welcome Back!

art san jr
12-04-2009, 3:08 AM
Real nice. Newbie here being real jealous.
Art.

Chris Hayes
12-04-2009, 7:38 AM
David - Thanks for telling me what the wood is. I really didn't have a clue --

Thanks for the encouragement all -- it's been fun to get back out and make something from a log.

Steve Mawson
12-04-2009, 7:48 AM
Good story to hear, especially at this time of year. Nice turnings as well. I used to go through Fishers all the time when I lived in Ft. Wayne. Hope the road stays a little smoother from now on.