PDA

View Full Version : G0555 Modifications

Chuck Isaacson
12-03-2009, 11:39 PM
I was out in the shop last night and I decided to tune up my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw a little. I set my bearings a what not. Tinkered with this, played with that... Wheels are coplanar and the whole bit. Started playing around with re-sawing a little and was cutting some nice 1/16th in. pieces off of a scrap. I noticed that the dust collection for the inside is rather adequate, but up by the blade on the outside, it kinda sucks. I just happened to catch a glimpse of the Ridgid bandsaw and noticed the nice little attachment that goes on the outside underneath the table. I noticed that the lower doors for the two machines are rather similar.. Has anyone tried to purchase the DC attachment and mount it onto the Grizzly? It looks like it might work. I found the part online and thought that I would ask around here first before spending the $15 to try it and find out it doesnt work. Also, I was wondering about a wheelbrush for the lower wheel. Has anyone found one that will work or rigged something up that does the job? I think I might be able to find an old toothbrush if that is what you have done.. Huh... I never thought about that before. Maybe I should MacGyver that. Just curious. Let me know what you have done and pics would be helpful too. Thanks.

Chuck

mark kosse
12-04-2009, 9:30 AM
The doors are similar because they're all knockoffs of the delta. Did you see my post on vintage bandsaw dust collection? You may want to look for it.

Chuck Isaacson
12-04-2009, 11:11 AM
You know, I did, but I guess that it didn't click when I looked at it. Maybe that is where I got the idea from. Did you get that DC attachment from a Ridgid bandsaw or did you buy it separately?

mark kosse
12-04-2009, 12:04 PM
No, I bought a rigid saw cheap. In perfect condition with a riser extention and mobil base for 100.00. What was amazing was that it was on craigsist for a day before I saw it and that was his asking price. I took the dust port from that saw so I can use it on all my bandsaws. (I now have 4) I never knew of this vac attachment until I got the rigid saw. If I was you I'd try to buy one from them. If you get one, Harbor Freight has 2 ceramic magnets 7/8X1-7/8" for 1.49 I bought last night. 2 of those epoxied to the dust port should hold it no problem.

If not, I have another suggestion. Harbor Freight Tools has a 50MM magnetic spring clamp base. I would think that 1 or 2 of those with some 2" pvc pipe and a cut off 45 or 90 degree fitting would do the same job.

Hope it helps.

Chuck Isaacson
12-04-2009, 12:07 PM
I was just going to drill the holes in the door and hard mount it. I really dont care if I have to modify it. I just want a little better DC on it. I dont suppose you have done anything for a wheel brush have you?

Josh Reet
12-04-2009, 1:59 PM
Ridgid has "lifetime warranty" on a lot of their tools. Subsequently, they have a pretty extensive system of authorized repair places. I would think that getting ahold of one of them would allow you to order the part. Do keep in mind that they are all independent contractors and not Ridgid company people, so the quality and professionalism can vary.

Ridgid is also reasonably easy to deal with one the phone and you may be able to order the part right from them.

Stephen Edwards
12-04-2009, 2:47 PM
I was out in the shop last night and I decided to tune up my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw a little. I set my bearings a what not. Tinkered with this, played with that... Wheels are coplanar and the whole bit. Started playing around with re-sawing a little and was cutting some nice 1/16th in. pieces off of a scrap. I noticed that the dust collection for the inside is rather adequate, but up by the blade on the outside, it kinda sucks. I just happened to catch a glimpse of the Ridgid bandsaw and noticed the nice little attachment that goes on the outside underneath the table. I noticed that the lower doors for the two machines are rather similar.. Has anyone tried to purchase the DC attachment and mount it onto the Grizzly? It looks like it might work. I found the part online and thought that I would ask around here first before spending the $15 to try it and find out it doesnt work. Also, I was wondering about a wheelbrush for the lower wheel. Has anyone found one that will work or rigged something up that does the job? I think I might be able to find an old toothbrush if that is what you have done.. Huh... I never thought about that before. Maybe I should MacGyver that. Just curious. Let me know what you have done and pics would be helpful too. Thanks.

Chuck

Do you have a link to this part that you're talking about? I'm interested, too. Thanks.

Chuck Isaacson
12-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Here is the link (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/chute-dust-p-156746.html?osCsid=9vqjdlspj8p2g9n1c1nil564s7) for that part. Let me know if you do it.

Chuck

Scott Crumpton
12-05-2009, 11:24 PM
You can order the wheel brush for the G0555X model of the saw. The mounting point is already in the lower casting of the G0555. You only need to drill and tap it. I've done it and also added a brush to the upper wheel using a self tapping screw to mount it to the rear cover. Position it so that the point of the screw is hidden by the upper casting.

You can add dust collection for the blade using some PVC plumbing supplies. Got the idea from a posting on this or another board. I found it necessary to partially block the main dust port in the saw to get the airflow I wanted up at the blade. It works quite well.

---Scott.

Chuck Isaacson
12-05-2009, 11:44 PM
You can order the wheel brush for the G0555X model of the saw. The mounting point is already in the lower casting of the G0555. You only need to drill and tap it. I've done it and also added a brush to the upper wheel using a self tapping screw to mount it to the rear cover. Position it so that the point of the screw is hidden by the upper casting.

You can add dust collection for the blade using some PVC plumbing supplies. Got the idea from a posting on this or another board. I found it necessary to partially block the main dust port in the saw to get the airflow I wanted up at the blade. It works quite well.

---Scott.

Thanks for the info. I didnt know that they made a brush for the g0555X. I thought that the only difference was the base and the motor. I will check it out. As for the DC stuff, can I get a little better shot of the second pic with a side view looking left to right? It looks pretty functional. Did that 4" PVC go right over the DC fitting? Thanks for the tip.

CHuck

Scott Crumpton
12-06-2009, 9:58 AM
Chuck,

The pics are about as good as I can get with the cell phone without removing the table from the saw. I think a few words will clarify some things.

The big "Y" fitting is 3" diameter - 4" dust collector hose will fit over it. There's a short section of 4" thick wall PVC drain pipe coupling it to the saw. The id of this drain line fits over the end of the "Y" just about right. There's a reducer bushing made from some thin wall drain line inside the end to get a snug fit with the saw's port. Make the reducer by cutting a short length of pipe lengthwise so that you can compress it to fit. Glue the reducer, pipe, and "Y" together. Secure to the saw with one screw into the top of the saw's dust port. Be careful to drill the hole in the top of the port to match the OD of the screw threads - this is cast iron and you don't want to crack it. The screw doesn't need to hold in the port, it only keeps the PVC from slipping off. I can't remember if there's any duct tape in there or not, but use it if you need it. :)

None of the joints going from the "Y" to the blade are glued. Friction fit only. This makes (dis)assembly easy. To tilt the table you must remove the upper parts. I rarely (never) tilt the table so I consider this only a minor disadvantage.

The short section of PVC pipe under the blade is glued into the elbow. It also has a "test plug" glued in the end. It was then split horizontally, removing the top half making a trough to catch the dust. The blade passes through a cut in the side of the PVC trough. In effect it's a "zero clearance dust collector".

As mentioned I did need to block part of the saw's port to divert more vacuum up to the blade. I did this with a square of fiberboard cut just large enough to friction fit into the port from inside the saw. It probably blocks 70-80 percent of the port.

I hope this explains what can't be seen in the photos. It actually works quite well. I was worried about blocking the saws main port, but the pickup at the blade catches almost all the dust. There is actually less accumulation within the saw now than there was running the full dust port alone. The zero clearance aspect of the collector seems to be quite effective.

My thanks go to whoever came up with the idea and made the posting that I saw several years ago.

---Scott.

Chuck Isaacson
12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Scott, Thanks for the explanation. Very through. I think that there may be a trip to Menards in my future to get some supplies. Is that wye that you have there a 3"x3"x2"? Just want to make sure that I am getting the right stuff. Thanks again.

Chuck