PDA

View Full Version : Utility Bowl in Elm

Ted Calver
12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
8" X 3.5" with 3/8 walls and a walnut oil (Mahoney's) and beeswax finish. I usually do a couple of coats of the Mahoney's and let them dry for several days or a week, then rub on a oil/wax mix that I use for eating utensils (4 parts oil/one part beeswax) and hand buff. This is a great little salad/popcorn bowl. I really like turning the Elm and wish I had gotten more of it. The tree was huge 5' DBH and being torn down for development. I snagged a pick up load before it went to the land fill.

David E Keller
12-03-2009, 11:40 PM
I really like the form. Elm is a beautiful wood. It's an interesting foot design; but I'm not sure if I like it as much as I would a more simple treatment. That's just me though

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Great looking bowl. Nice form and finish. I love turning Elm. Make a mighty fine popcorn bowl for sure. What kind of oil do you use Ted? I usually use Mahoney's oil/wax mixture.

Richard Madison
12-04-2009, 12:50 AM
More pretty wood, grain well centered, and very stylish signature on the bottom.

Steve Schlumpf
12-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Ted - really like the form on this one! Great looking grain and color! My favorite part is the rim! Just something about a flat surface where you don't expect to find one!

Nice work Ted! Keep your eyes open for another Elm!

alex carey
12-04-2009, 3:04 AM
Nice bowl, you lines up the grain nicely, I like the bottom a lot, overall nice form.

Steve Mawson
12-04-2009, 7:56 AM
A keeper for sure. Wish I could write like you for the signature.

Jeff Nicol
12-04-2009, 8:08 AM
Ted, I like it a lot! The wood is a very nice color and the shape is very appealing! You did good! I like elm and have tons of it so I will add your design to the things to do list.

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Ted Calver
12-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks all for the kind comments. Bernie...I use Mahoney's walnut oil for all my users. I also use it to make an oil/beeswax mix to give to buyers for bowl maintenance. Just warm 5 parts of Mahoneys Walnut oil in the microwave (30 second bursts..keep your eye on it) and add one part beeswax flakes to melt in. Works great for me. The only drawback is that the Walnut oil has a very slight green tint compared to mineral oil.