PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw gloat

Mike Conley
12-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I picked up this Grizzly G0555X bandsaw tonight for $200.00. Saw the add on Craigslist today and managed to beat everybody else to it.

It is a little over two years old. The date on the saw is August 2007.

The top of the table has a little rust on it which should clean up. I think it will look almost brand new after I get it cleaned up.

These are the pictures of the saw in its previous home. I just got it home tonight so I haven't had time to clean it up.

I will post more pictures after I clean it up.

Dean Karavite
12-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Between you and the guy with the new Laguna, you guys are killing me today! :)

Seriously, that is a great find and price. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Stephen Edwards
12-03-2009, 11:26 PM
That's a great score! You'll love this saw. If you order the riser block for it you'll be able to comfortably re-saw 8-10 inch boards. It'll even do 12 inches, just take your time and have a good resaw blade.

You lucked out, man!

Jack Camillo
12-04-2009, 7:00 AM
Super score. Hell, for 200 bucks you could leave this set-up for smaller tasks and get you a bigger one later (find another deal!) for resawing and larger work. I hope to find a smaller bandsaw at a price like you found to fill that role.

Mike Cruz
12-04-2009, 10:21 AM
+1 on that idea. Leave this saw the way it is and find a deal on a big one for resawing. I did all the upgrades on my 14" Ridgid, and while it will certainly handle the bigger resaws, I hate changing blades to go back and forth. My new philosophy? Every shop needs two band saws...one for resawing and one for detail. Nice score, though! I'm sure you'll LOVE it.

Mike Conley
12-20-2009, 3:44 PM
I promised pictures after I got the saw cleaned up. Here it is, cleaned up and in my shop.

I removed the rust from the table top and built a mobile base for the saw.

The mobile base is from HF. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95288

Dean Karavite
12-20-2009, 4:03 PM
Mike, as someone who is going through bandsaw decision insanity with this very saw on the list and to see your amazing deal and pics that look like a brand new saw, I will try to be a decent human about it and control my seething envy and jealous rage. :-) You got a real steal. A true gloat! Wow.

P.S. I think you have good advice here, but with the money you saved I would consider tricking it out a bit - Carter guides, stabilizer and some very nice blades.

Harold Burrell
12-20-2009, 4:13 PM
You suck.

:p

Mike Cruz
12-20-2009, 5:33 PM
Dean has a good point about the guides. I got the Carter guides for my 14 and love them.

Wow, the saw looks like it is in fantastic shape!

Carroll Courtney
12-20-2009, 5:43 PM
200.00,I sec.Harolds comments YOU SUCK.What a deal,congrads---Carroll

Mac McQuinn
12-20-2009, 7:52 PM
That saw is presently around $700.00 shipped.....Good eye and have fun with your new saw.

Mac

Jim Rimmer
12-20-2009, 10:00 PM
When I saw the AFTER pictures, I was sure you were pulling our collective legs and had secretly bought a new one. Nice find!

Richard Dragin
12-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Rare to find a band saw on CL that isn't really old, well done and you suck.

Cliff Holmes
12-20-2009, 10:50 PM
If the man date is Aug 07, then the actual time since it was sold could be considerably less than two years. I think my Grizzly tools average about a year from manufacturing date to my purchase.

Joe Broadway
12-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Congrats! I saw that add on CL but didn't jump on it soon enough. Good to see it go to another Creeker.