PDA

View Full Version : Question on Buffing

Ray Binnicker
12-03-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm starting to buff more and more of my turnings. The question is; Example: Bowl is finished with seveal coats of wipe on Poly. Are all 3 wheels used or just the WD and Wax? Bowl is finished with several coats of AO. Are all 3 wheels used or just the WD and Wax? Probably not "wrote in stone" rules, but are there some general guidelines?
TIA
Ray Binnicker

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Ray - each turner will have their own method more than likely. I use all three even when the finish feels smooth to the touch before buffing. Seems like starting with red makes the white work even better. Just me.....

Jim Underwood
12-03-2009, 11:16 PM
You might find some answers here:

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2009, 12:54 AM
I generally use all three but I am a little careful with the white diamond on dark woods such as walnut.

DON PENCIL
12-05-2009, 2:54 PM
Ray,
Your question: The question is; Example: Bowl is finished with seveal coats of wipe on Poly.
The Answer is use only the least agressive abrasive possible for smoothing out the "orange peel" on the surface. Allow plenty of time for the coating to cure before you buff. Buff at a low speed, not to exceed 900 rpm, 700 to 800 is recommended.
After you have achieved that smooth "like glass" finish, you may apply wax to the surface as an added protection if you desire. Choices of wax vary, I use carnuaba.
You may want to look into the "PL" wheels and compounds as they are specifically designed for this application. You can use white diamond but it is much more aggressive and you stand a good chance of buffing through the finish. White diamond compound will also leave a finish that is not as "bright" as the "PL" compound. To think of it in sanding terms it is like sanding wood to 100 grit and then waxing or sanding to 600 grit and then waxing. You are going to see a difference in the finish.

Be Well,

Don

Rob Cunningham
12-05-2009, 5:21 PM
No to hijack the thread but, how do you guys buff the inside of a bowl?

Sean Troy
12-05-2009, 5:22 PM
Don's PL system is fantastic! It is so easy and the results are as good as it gets. I highly recommend it.

Chris Hayes
12-05-2009, 5:54 PM
Jim thanks for posting the link. I've been looking for a tutorial on how and why ( I guess that I think that way... answer why and the how makes and sense).