PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ken Fitzgerald - you were right! (Plus a bonus!)

John Keeton
12-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Ken told me that turning the drawer knobs for my table project would be tougher than turning the legs - and, he was right!

First of all, those darn things are a lot smaller than a table leg, and I didn't think about the endgrain issue - that was a new one for me.

Dang! My wife was talking to me and I hit the enter key before I got the post done and the pics in order!!!

Anyway, the first two pics are the first knob, the second two pics are the second knob, and then the pair. Not dead on, but decent. They are actually the same size (1.5"), but for some reason in the pic of the two one looks larger?!?

The other pic is of the blanks I put together, with some spares.

And, then the bonus. Had some walnut and curly maple scraps and glued up a couple of handle blanks - just in case I were to end up with a couple of Thompson tools! I roughed one of them out and slapped on some BLO and shellac just to see what it would look like.

Sorry for the messup on the pics. Kinda makes it jumbled.

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Yup - but the fact that you are aware of the differences tells me you have everything under control! Have fun John!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2009, 10:37 PM
John,

I find knobs harder only because a given magnitude of error is a larger percentage on a knob as compared to a table leg.

I'll have to show you the 8 or 9 knobs I turned for you. They are still sitting in my shop.

John Keeton
12-03-2009, 10:44 PM
You are right on the percentage of error - a 1/16" isn't much on a leg turning, but it is a lot on a knob. Other than the first blank that I immediately blew up with the skew the minute I touched it, these were the only two blanks I used - I felt lucky with that!

I would love to see the knobs you did - post a pic!! Those were pretty small - don't think I am ready for that yet.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
The truth is John, I had enough to put on a piece of my furniture. I have, however, seen the gorgeous stuff you build and I wanted to know that I had plenty for you to choose from before I mailed them out. I'll try to get a photo later tonight.

Jim Underwood
12-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Those look pretty good to me.

Make extras and pick the best of the lot.

David E Keller
12-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Looks good to me... One is a little darker than the other it seems and that may contribute to the visual difference... I agree that you could make several and pick the best pair. I see bowls in your future

Brian Effinger
12-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Ok, since no one has actually come out and said it yet, I will....

I double dog dare you! :D

http://www.flickstongue.com/Movie/Pics/stuck.jpg

And if that didn't work, then how about the taunting that follows.

[i]"You really need the bigger one. Real men don't turn on grizzlys. Na na nana. Etc., etc." :p :D :p

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2009, 12:51 AM
John those are mighty fine looking knobs. I don't see a problem with them. I always turn more than I need and then match up the best.

John Keeton
12-04-2009, 7:17 AM
Ok, since no one has actually come out and said it yet, I will....

I double dog dare you! :D

And if that didn't work, then how about the taunting that follows.

[i]"You really need the bigger one. Real men don't turn on grizzlys. Na na nana. Etc., etc." :p :D :pBrian, I wondered how long it would take!:D

But, it's worse than that, it's a Harbor Freight, not even a Grizzly!:eek:

The search in Ohio has ended. The old PM 45 was just a little too rough for my likin'. Probably would clean up fine, but the price asked didn't leave room for that much effort - even for my untrained labor!;)

Thanks again, guys, for the supportive words! Whenever I feel like mediocrity has won out again, I can depend on you guys to lift me up.

Steve Mawson
12-04-2009, 7:53 AM
Those are dandy's. Very fitting for your table. Know what you are saying about how hard it is to get them to match. Did a bunch for several cabinets and it is trying at times to make all the "same".

John Keeton
12-04-2009, 8:21 AM
Thanks, Steve! Since the drawer front and apron are curly maple, I thought the walnut would create a little interest and additional contrast.

Hmmmm..... Steve has a new PM.... and probably has a lathe he needs to get out of his way...... Could make a weekend winter trip to Nebraska.....;)