PDA

View Full Version : My first Hollow Form.

Dolan Brown
12-03-2009, 9:42 PM
This is my first HF. River Birch with a Purpleheart finial.
app. 10" x 4"
Finished with several coats of MinWax Wipe on Poly.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=223&pictureid=2507

Looking for critiques on shape and proportions.

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Dolan - congrats on your first hollow form! Nice work! I do have to warn you though - they can become extremely addictive!

As far as form - that is something that is subject to personal taste more than anything else. If you could change anything about this - what would it be and why? That's how we all learn.

If I were to change anything - it would be the finial. I would turn it a little thinner so that it would grace the hollow form and not be as much of a focal point. As mentioned - it is strickly a matter of personal taste.

David E Keller
12-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Great looking piece. I agree with Steve's suggestion about the finial. I really like the overall shape of the hollow form. I have no experience turning these so I purely commenting from a visual perspective, but I kind of wonder what it would look like with a low profile collar of a contrasting wood. Just a thought. Fantastic first hollow form

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Good looking HF for your first. I agree that the finial needs to be thinner and a finer, smaller tip.

Richard Madison
12-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Nice piece Dolan. Looks like smooth curvatures with no kinks or flat spots. Good work there. Might want to radius the sharp edge where the side meets the base to give the piece a bit of "lift" from the surface. Agree with Steve's comment about the finial; thinner and smoother blend to the body.

Mike Minto
12-04-2009, 10:24 AM
dolan, really nice piece. the color combination is just right in my opinion - really works!

Dolan Brown
12-09-2009, 8:31 PM
Thanks for the critiques. I can see what you are saying and will try that on a future HF. I looked at some HFs in a magazine with the smaller finial and they look much better with the smaller finial.

Bill Bolen
12-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Fine job especially for a first effort! ...
Bill...

charlie knighton
12-10-2009, 9:32 AM
Dolan, it is very nice,

it is very hard to get a great piece with those deminsions, if you had made it only 5 or 6 inches tall i believe your currve would have been better, that is what i am finding on mine, that is what i have figured out in the last 3 years