PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly GO462

Paul Mathers
12-03-2009, 8:45 PM
I am thinking about buying a grizzly go462 the guy says it is a few years old he wants $300 I was going to offer $250 wasn't sure if it was worth it. I would like to be able to turn bigger bowls and I thought this would be a good full size for the lathe for the money I have a 1220 for smaller stuff thanks for any advice

Pete Paris
12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I have been working wood long enough to go from cheep machines through the middle of the road and am still adding high end machines today. I am not out to offend anyone and this is just my opinion, but I had a grizzly lathe, I forget the number but it was only good enought to make mallets out of tree limbs. I ruined more wood than I had in the lathe itself. I spent money on live centers, and all kinds of stuff to make it better with no results. The bolts were always getting loose and causing vibration.

I have had to make amends to my best friend because I sold it to him. LOL

I know that Grizzly has made great changes in their machines over the years but I have chosen not to purchase from them. I did get the 20 inch planer from them in 95 and I still use it today. It is the same as the powermatic, york, jet, ect....

I believe that whatever I build I should use the best materials and the better machines help me achieve this with precision. I read alot of reviews but I also go to meet new woodworkers and ask to try their machines. this is just my opinion. I plan on working with wood until the end, wisdow has told me that I should have gotten the best out of the gate when I could have afforded it and would have more to spend on good materials in the end of my days when I will need and use it on a retirement budget.

David Warkentin
12-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I use the 0462 and like it. Course it is the only lathe I have ever had so maybe I don't know any better. And Grizzly has good customer support. Guess you wouldn't be a customer though if you buy second hand:D. David

Montgomery Scott
12-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Save your money for a good lathe. I've rarely heard positive things about Grizzly lathes. I would venture to guess guy who is getting rid of it after only a few years also has a low opinion of it.

Cliff Holmes
12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Sure are a lot of opinions from people who've never laid hands on the machine ... :rolleyes:

Fred Belknap
12-04-2009, 9:55 PM
:mad:
Sure are a lot of opinions from people who've never laid hands on the machine ... :rolleyes:

I have the machine, bought new about 3 months ago. The tool rest is a POS three piece thing. Really not a very good machine. You can buy it new for less than $500 with free shipping, at least you get a one year warranty.
:mad::mad:

Cliff Holmes
12-05-2009, 2:26 AM
I have the machine, bought new about 3 months ago

And that's fine. You have a genuine opinion, based on real experience. I think 90% of the opinions on this or most any forum have no basis in experience, they're just parroting what they've read somewhere.

Paul Mathers
12-05-2009, 1:03 PM
Thanks for advice thought it might be a good deal at $250 probably just keep looking