PDA

View Full Version : Second Segmentation

Bill Bulloch
12-03-2009, 8:16 PM
About a week ago I posted my first attempt at segmentation. It was suggested that I stay with the basic and work on making good, tight joints before I move on to the more fancy designs. Understanding how important that is in building segments, that is what I was working on when I turned this second segmentation.

While turning this one, I learned a couple of other things. Like, the need for proper planning before starting the turning. The little Spanish Cedar top demonstrates my like of planning. I didn't have enough Spanish Cedar to make an adequate top. This one, pictured, has too low a profile for the body.

In my second attempt at making the top, I didn't give enough consideration to Design. Turns out, that it was just too busy for this piece (Pictured).

Next I made this Walnut top. I like it much, much better than the other two. But, it is a solid piece of wood, not segmented. So we'll see how movement effects the segmentation.

This Bird House is a big one 5 inches in diameter and 8 inches high. It is made up of Spanish Cedar, White Oak, Hard maple, Cocobolo and Walnut/

What ya think?

Steve Mawson
12-03-2009, 9:44 PM
You are right, that is one big birdhouse. Looks like you are making good progress.

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Looks good to me! You having fun yet!

Jim Kountz
12-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Looks like you've got the gist of it now keep going!!

David E Keller
12-04-2009, 12:50 AM
I love the top in the second photo... the texturing is fantastic. I hope you can find another piece for it to go with... seems like a shame to waste it. I'd love to know how you did it.

Looks like you did a nice job with the segmenting.

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Bill that is a good looking birdhouse. I think you got it.

Richard Madison
12-04-2009, 1:00 AM
Joints and alignment look good from here Bill. Cross grain joinery is always a concern. Sometimes you get away with it, but best to avoid on anything that is for sale. Press on. Looking forward to your next piece.

Bill Bulloch
12-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I love the top in the second photo... the texturing is fantastic. I hope you can find another piece for it to go with... seems like a shame to waste it. I'd love to know how you did it.

Looks like you did a nice job with the segmenting.

I plan on saving it for another project. It will have to be a bird house or something enclosed, because since it was to be enclosed I did not finish the inside very well and I cannot remount it on the lathe to clean it up.

It is Spanish Cedar two rings with 12 segments each. The top is a solid piece about 1 inch diameter. I used the Wagner Texturing tool to texture it.

Bill Bulloch
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Joints and alignment look good from here Bill. Cross grain joinery is always a concern. Sometimes you get away with it, but best to avoid on anything that is for sale. Press on. Looking forward to your next piece.

Mike Golka had warned me about one piece rings, but since this piece is no where near "marketable" and something I plan to keep, I decided to make the solid top as a test piece. Nothing better that first hand experience.

David Hullum
12-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Really cool it looks like a bee hive. I need to try some seggy work.