PDA

View Full Version : eco friendy sign backing?

Steve knight
12-03-2009, 8:15 PM
I am bidding on a job cutting aluminum letters and the person wants something that is as friendly as practical. the company is thinking of mdo. but is there anything else that would do the job? the back will be 8'x40" tall. rhis is outdoor by the way.

Joe Pelonio
12-03-2009, 9:56 PM
There are some materials out there now, but they are way more expensive than traditional materials. I made some plaques using a material that's MDF-like but made with recycled cardboard and resin. You could also use bamboo. I'd consider solid .063 or .08 aluminum, at least it can be recycled at the end of the sign's life.

Dean Maiorano
12-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Aluminum would be my choice also IF the desired background is flat.

How 'interesting' do they want this thing? Is there a code or site specific criteria you need to adhere to? If not then you've got loads of options.

- sheet of plywood sandblasted lightly and painted? Some kind of edging and maybe back bracing?

- aluminum clad plywood?

- aluminum clad plastic (PVC, HDPE, fiberglass, etc.) - all of which are more recyclable than plywood

- sheet of steel/iron metal painted or matte color primed or bare metal lacquered or encapsulated rust effect, etc?

- sheet copper or zinc or other metal mounted to framing?

- sign foam panel (which is most definitely recyclable at end of sign's life)?

- pick up something at a local scrap yard or recycling center (like a Habitat for Humanity 'ReStore')...good place for metals or tall (8') exterior grade flat panel door?

I'm confused as to why the customer is convinced MDO is 'friendly' (they mean 'environmentally friendly' I assume)...there's glue in them and wood rots.

I've been in both the construction material recycling business (ran a ReStore in Raleigh, NC) and I've run a sign shop (among other things).

Steve knight
12-04-2009, 12:15 AM
I think the mdo was the sign company's idea but they were not sure.
dibond would be good. though I am not sure how the sign will be mounted of it will be on a flat wall. if the surface is not flat I am not sure dibond would be stiff enough. same with a sheet of aluminum. I can get aluminum sheeted plywood and that would be the best of both.

Dean Maiorano
12-04-2009, 12:19 AM
You're going to take the easy way out!

Smart man.

Tony Dietz
12-29-2009, 10:52 AM
One of the things to consider will be the expected life of the sign, what is your customer willing to get? IMO staying away from anything with wood and giving the customer a "longer shelf live" is always the way they want to go.

Steve knight
12-29-2009, 1:30 PM
they changed their mind now the back will be brushed aluminum dibond and black letters 1/4" thick I will use acrylic for them. it will save a lot in material and even more in time.