PDA

View Full Version : Antique Week in Round Top, Texas... SCORE!

Todd Burch
10-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Well, I scored a couple new tools while rumaging through acres and acres of antiques the end of last week. Connie and I took off Thursday afternoon. We shopped all day Friday and Saturday. Boy, that will wear you out!

Round Top, Texas, population 77, is roughly 1/2 way between Houston and Austin - a bit closer to Austin. Each year, in the spring and fall, they celebrate OktoberFest by bringing in vendors to peddle their wares. This year was reported to be a little light on the consumer side, while probably an all-time high on the vendor side. Just too much to see.

Tool report: I picked up a Union 100 Squirrel Tail block plane for $50. Not sure of the original intended use of this little guy, but I'll be taking it to the lumber yard in my pocket to get a closer look at rough wood by taking a few scrapes off the top. First anticipated use... Curly Woods in a couple weeks!

I also got a timber framers slick, sans handle, for $38. I'll be handling this soon... I guess I'll have to unbury and dust off ye old lathe. That's a 6" rule next to it.

I passed on the smallest wooden rabbet/grooving plane I've ever seen. I included a picture of it in my hand for your interest. I think they wanted $24 or $25 for it.

Todd

Dennis Peacock
10-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Todd,

Looks and sounds like ya'll had a good time. Did you loose any weight from all that walking around? :eek: :p

Nice score of the tools.!!! :D

Mickey Elam
10-07-2004, 4:31 PM
So did Round Top seem a bit light on the tool front to you? My wife and I go twice a year (April and October) and there didn't seem to be all that many tools there this time around. Maybe I didn't look in the right places.

Small gloat... picked up a Stanley 65 1/2 for $12. It's missing the eccentric for the adjustable throat and the lever cap isn't the correct (nickeled) one, but it's going to be a FINE user!

Todd Burch
10-07-2004, 4:46 PM
Yes, it seemed light on the tool front. Also a bit light in the "deal" department, although many of the vendors first comments to you in the booth was "I can work with you on the marked prices".

Dennis McDonaugh
10-07-2004, 4:48 PM
TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

15 Yards on Todd for posting on the wrong forum. I don't think instant replay is going to show any cords on those tools!

Jake Byrd
10-07-2004, 5:44 PM
Good looking tools, congrats.

Todd Burch
10-07-2004, 9:47 PM
I'll use a powertool (Tormek) to sharpen the itty bitty blade, and a lathe to make a handle for the slick. HA!

After reviewing the play, the play stands, and Dennis is charged with a timeout. :)