PDA

View Full Version : Which Drum sander to buy open end or closed

Craig D Peltier
12-03-2009, 7:03 PM
I currently have the 16-32 Jet with infield and outfeed tables. Some day before spring I want to get one that I feel confident of throwing the full width through it and flip it around and do the other half and it look good. whether or not the top is heavy or not.

I know the debate on open end is drum deflection. I do see that on mine.

So either this type of Griz

G0644 15" 3 HP Open End Wide-Belt Sander

or this type

G1066Z 24" Drum Sander w/ VS ( on this one, If I have a glue up of over 24 I would just send tow pieces through.

Thanks for the opinions ot help make up my mind.

On another note yesterday I was at an auction for a shop that the guy was retiring. They sold a 36" sandingmaster double drum for 2000 and one for 1500, then a 37" ( another brand) seems like no-one wanted after the two had sold went for $500! If I had the room for storing I would of snatched up and resold it.

Stan Urbas
12-03-2009, 10:00 PM
My first drum sander was a 16-32, many years ago, Way before they were snatched up by Jet. My second is a Woodmaster 18" model. I can do almost everything I want on the Woodmaster. It produced better results than the Performax, is faster, is more consistent, etc.

However, that being said, occasionally I have to sand something wider than 18". That's why I still have my Performax in my shop.. I had the opportunity to sell it but am glad I didn't.

george wilson
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
The Delta 18-36 I have has NO head deflection problem. The head is made of 1/8" thick steel,and is welded to the column. The cast iron conveyor table moves up and down,and can be adjusted to sand exactly parallel across wide boards so they aren't even .001" out.

I don't care for the adjustable head models. they always deflect too easily IMO,because they have to be loose enough to adjust them up and down.

Dick Mahany
12-03-2009, 11:41 PM
I have the Jet 16-32 (non-oscilatting head version) and really like it. It took some careful set up, but I have no appreciable thickness or ridge issues when flipping wide panels for the wide panel dual pass setup. I'm no expert here but would do it again with out hesitaton.

Good luck with your decision.

Fred Preston
12-04-2009, 8:43 AM
I have the woodtek dual drum 25" sander. it works OK. it isn't a woodmaster or a wide belt sander but it was a lot less $$$$ so..... I did not like the open end sanders. one reason was single grit and the time to change grits and the other reason was deflection. I found too many people sayin if you touch it while it is sanding you get scallop. with the dual drum you get 2 grits. I run 80 and 120. I have never used any finer grit so cant speak to that. it does a good job of flatening but it is a slow process so it aint going to double as a planer for me. YMMV

Michael Drew
12-04-2009, 12:08 PM
What do you do for things wider than the max capacity; say like a 42" wide table top? I assume you sand both sides as far as you can, then feather the sanded areas and the strip in the middle with a hand held belt sander……

I am curious as I would like a drum sander, but have a 42" wide table on my honey do list. Taking the top to a cabinet shop with a large sander is not an option for me.

Craig D Peltier
12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
What do you do for things wider than the max capacity; say like a 42" wide table top? I assume you sand both sides as far as you can, then feather the sanded areas and the strip in the middle with a hand held belt sander……

I am curious as I would like a drum sander, but have a 42" wide table on my honey do list. Taking the top to a cabinet shop with a large sander is not an option for me.

Well up to most recently I would take my tops to a 50" wide sander.In your case I guess I would only glue up one board at a time to get it most even on glue up ( less sanding) , then belt sand evenly.
Unless your way out in the boonies I find it better to drive to a bigger sander. In your case a sander of 24" wde would work, bring it in two pieces.The reason I say this, it will give you a dead flat surface , with belt sander it will have some sort of uneveness showing in the finish if your a perfectionist.When I took my tops to get sanded it was around $50.

Craig D Peltier
12-04-2009, 12:34 PM
The Delta 18-36 I have has NO head deflection problem. The head is made of 1/8" thick steel,and is welded to the column. The cast iron conveyor table moves up and down,and can be adjusted to sand exactly parallel across wide boards so they aren't even .001" out.

I don't care for the adjustable head models. they always deflect too easily IMO,because they have to be loose enough to adjust them up and down.

Thats sounds like a good deal when the head doesnt move but the table does.I will look into that machine as well.

Larry Anderson
12-04-2009, 1:03 PM
Thats sounds like a good deal when the head doesnt move but the table does.I will look into that machine as well.

I too am thinking about the Delta. Best price for me in CA is here:http://www.toolorbit.com/Delta/Delta-31-260X.html

Gene Howe
12-04-2009, 1:51 PM
I too am thinking about the Delta. Best price for me in CA is here:http://www.toolorbit.com/Delta/Delta-31-260X.html

Larry, Unless you can go to their place of business, I'd be careful. I've read that a few guys have had "delivery problems" after their CC has been charged.

Fred Preston
12-04-2009, 2:19 PM

wider tops, I make in 2 halves and glue up after sanding. I use a RO sander for finish sanding anyway and with culls or dowels ,bisquits ect for alignment I have not had any issues.

Larry Anderson
12-04-2009, 3:13 PM
Larry, Unless you can go to their place of business, I'd be careful. I've read that a few guys have had "delivery problems" after their CC has been charged.

Thanks for the heads up Gene. I did notice they had no feedback at resellerratings.com. Maybe better to pay a few dollars more and get it from Toolsplus.