PDA

View Full Version : Summer Project completed (almost anyway)

Tom Wynn
10-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Just completed my summer project this weekend and wanted to post a picture of it. It is made of 1/4" x 3/4" strips of Atlantic white cedar below deck while the deck is comprised of Ash, basswood, bloodwood and mahogany. Learned a lot from doing this project and picked up quite a few new goodies for the shop as an added benefit. I hope to make another one this winter for my daughter. I still need to varnish it and complete the outfitting but that shouldn't take to much more time. :D

Thanks for looking.

Tom

Jim Ketron
10-04-2004, 11:17 PM
WOW Thats Awesome!
Looks great!
Nice job!
Do you have any progress pics on how you made it ?
Jim

David LaRue
10-04-2004, 11:27 PM
Very very nice!

Todd Burch
10-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Wow!!! It's good looking, AND it floats!! Who could ask for more?

CERTAINLY - you took pictures along the way... cough 'em up!! Todd

Christine Tiede
10-04-2004, 11:51 PM
From one kayaker to another......... what an incredible job!! Happy paddling!!!
Christine

Pat Monahan
10-05-2004, 1:55 AM
FANTASTIC!!The different woods really make it special!
Pat

Norman Hitt
10-05-2004, 2:16 AM
Absolutely beautiful!!!!! I love the contrasting wqoods, and that design is pretty slinky too.

Now that the EASY part, (building it) is over, here comes the HARD part, (keeping the big hole pointed UP).

Tyler Howell
10-05-2004, 2:20 AM
Bravo Bravo!:cool:

Dave Richards
10-05-2004, 6:35 AM
That kayak is finastkind. Great job.

Perry Holbrook
10-05-2004, 6:44 AM
That sure looks good and I'm sure it feels good to see it complete. How many hours do you have in it?

Perry

Thomas Prondzinski
10-05-2004, 6:56 AM
Wow Tom that is absoulutly beautiful!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Tom

Terry Quiram
10-05-2004, 7:00 AM
Tom

That is outstanding. Very nice choice of woods. A strip canoe is something I would like to build and now you are getting me fired up again.

Terry

Michael Stafford
10-05-2004, 7:19 AM
Oh my goodness, isn't that just beautiful!!! You must be very proud. I know it is built for water but I would keep it at home, nice and dry, so I could stroke it lovingly when I wanted to...

Mark J Bachler
10-05-2004, 8:05 AM
Very Very nice indeed. Where did you get the plans. Is this laid up over a form?

Brad Schmid
10-05-2004, 9:01 AM
All I can say is WOW! that's an incredible accomplishment :cool:
cheers

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2004, 9:14 AM
Simply gorgeous, Tom.

Mark Valsi
10-05-2004, 10:13 AM
THAT MIGHT BE THE BEST PROJECT EVER POSTED ON THIS BOARD !

The proportions are perfect, Design Perfect, as a very critical observer of art i give you the grade of A+++++++ :D

Jerry Olexa
10-05-2004, 10:56 AM
OUTSTANDING !!!! Great Job! you should be proud, Enjoy your hard work!!

Pete Lamberty
10-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Really beautiful work. Outstanding. As far as the difficulty level was it really really hard to make? Do you consider yourself an expert woodworker? What level of wood worker would it take to make a kayak? Really nice job. Congrats!

Frank Pellow
10-05-2004, 11:40 AM
[

THAT MIGHT BE THE BEST PROJECT EVER POSTED ON THIS BOARD !

I agree with Mark, except that I would remove the word MIGHT. The only thing that comes close is Greg Mann's kayak (see thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10631)

I hasten to add that I am biased because I hope to build a boat some day. In my case, I want to build a sleek rowing boat. But, I will not even attempt to make it look as good as your kayak Mark.

Great design, beauty, and function wrapped in to one! Like others, I would like more details.

Dan Gill
10-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!

Roger Fitzsimonds
10-05-2004, 12:47 PM
I am with Brad, WOW what a beautiful kayak. Great job.

Roger

Michael Ballent
10-05-2004, 1:33 PM
That's it I'm selling my tools :eek: I am humbled by the kayak, and you only did it over the summer... Simply amazing :D Now where are those popsicle sticks.

Amazing Job!!!

Keep it up, at least I know what I am shooting for.

Larry Guthrie
10-05-2004, 2:02 PM
Great job Tom! It is BEAUTIFUL !!!!

Larry

Kurt Loup
10-05-2004, 5:37 PM
Tom,

Is that a Guillemot L?

Kurt

Chris Padilla
10-05-2004, 8:00 PM
Okay, that is not bad, not bad. ;) I'm with Todd..."how I built the suck-a" pics would be a joy to see! :D

Ralph Morris
10-05-2004, 8:56 PM
Wow best looking one! How hard was it to make? How long did it take to do it?

Tom Wynn
10-06-2004, 9:38 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for the kind comments and answer some of the questions raised. The design came from Vaclav Stejskal from One Ocean Kayaks (http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/index.htm) and is a Cape Ann model. The boat was fairly easy to build primarily using basic hand tools, though I did use a new TS and delta planer to mill the lumber into 1/4" x 3/4" strips. While I have been around construction most of my life (Grand father was a county building inspector / father was general contractor) I choose to join the Navy as a photographer so consider myself a novice woodworker.

I decided to build this using a staple less method of construction using various wedges, homemade clamps and the like to hold the strips to the form. This presented some problems and slowed construction but I feel the end result was well worth the extra effort required. I estimate I spent about 300 hours nights and weekends between 1 July and 30 September building it and hope to start puting on the final touches this weekend. Below are a few more pictures of the constuction progress showing the initial bow stem layout, aft deck, coaming lamination and the kayak standing on end. This is done to fill the bow/stern with 3-4 oz of epoxpy for that ever important watertight seal where you cant get fiberglass tape.

Thanks again,
Tom

Carole Valentine
10-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Wow! What can I say that hasn't already been said? Tom, if you decide to come across the big water to explore the waterways of the Eastern Shore, let me know. I'd love to see that baby up close and personal! :)

Wade Samuelson
10-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Hmmm...you need to mount a rod-holder on the top right behind you. Then you could troll while you paddle around. I have an extra FishOn quick-release holder if you need one. It could just mount with a couple of bolts.

**ducks to avoid the incoming barrage of rotten fruit**