PDA

View Full Version : Moffatt light

Jim Slovik
12-03-2009, 5:10 PM
What kind of bulb do you use in your Moffatt light? Just a regular 100w? 100w small flood or spot? I just mounted a Moffatt to my lathe and the only 100w I have is a "soft white". I don't know if the "soft white" is too muted or if there is too much ambient light but it just doesn't seem to throw a lot of light.
Thanks,
Jim

Harvey Crouch
12-03-2009, 6:01 PM
I have 2 moffet lights on my lathe that are terrific, however, the type bulb is important. I found that standard bulbs put out so much heat that they are uncomfortable. I found some 5500K twisty bulbs that put out a very bright light and stay cool! They work for me. The lower lumen bulbs (soft light) just don't hack it for my old eyes. They do collect dust, however, and need to be blown off occasionally.

Mike Minto
12-03-2009, 6:12 PM
nothing on wattage here, but when i spoke to the folks who make the moffat fixture, they recommended 'rough service' bulbs for shop use. cost more, but supposed to be safer/tougher. i bought one, haven't used it yet, though.

Jim Slovik
12-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Harvey I could see how you wouldn't want any extra heat in Texas but up here in Wisconsin I welcome it!! I bought an energy efficient bulb that compares to a 75w bulb and a clear 100w regular bulb. The 100w throws a lot more light and since I'm turning in an unheated shed, I'm going with that. Maybe then I won't have to wear my gloves. Thanks for the replies.

John King
12-04-2009, 1:07 AM
I use GE Energy Saver 6500K (daylight) compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. They put out light equal to a 100 watt incadescent bulb with only 26 watts of power input. The CFLs are MUCH cooler than equivalent watt incadescent bulbs. This is the largest bulb I could find that would allow use of the snap on bulb guard. - John

Sean Troy
12-04-2009, 9:26 AM
I use a 100w CFL bulb. Works great for me.

Jim Slovik
12-04-2009, 9:31 AM
I'll buy a 100w CFL and try it out. When I was in the store the 100w bulb looked like it might be too big so I bought the 75w. That just wasn't enough light. Since I now know that it will fit, I'll try the 100w.
Thank you.

Mickey Turnbo
12-04-2009, 9:59 AM
You may as well all get used to the CFL bulbs as they'll be all you can get after 2012. New energy efficiency laws covering light bulbs have set the required efficiency level so high that the incandescent bulb will not be able to meet it. There will be some exceptions such as "specialty bulbs" and "service bulbs".

Jim Slovik
12-04-2009, 11:01 AM
I noticed that yesterday when I went to the store. It was hard to find a "regular" bulb. What I thought would be great in the Moffatt would be a flood type bulb with a smaller diameter. I couldn't find one. The 100w I put in it works well but I will be trying out the 100w CFL too.