PDA

View Full Version : truck loading to capacity question

Ken Platt
12-03-2009, 2:46 PM
Folks -

I'm wondering how much, if any, wiggle room there is in the listed capacity for one's pickup. I'm going to get a ton or two of those biobrick compressed wood things, but my pickup's listed capacity is 1286 lbs, so I'm trying to figure out how many trips I'll have to make. I'd prefer to have to make only two trips, since it's about 30 miles, but I have to pick an even amount to buy. So I'm wondering how strictly I need to adhere to the "cargo and passengers less than" the 1286 lbs. If anyone can shed some light here, it'd be appreciated.

Ken

Lee Schierer
12-03-2009, 2:51 PM
You can load it until you hear something break and then take off one or two bricks....

The load limits are the safe design loads for the vehicle. Overloading while it can be done, opens many doors you may not wish to enter. If you are overloaded and have an accident, guess who is liable....If your truck chassis warranty is still in effect guess what happens if you overload it...

Ed Hazel
12-03-2009, 2:56 PM
What truck do you have?
Most will haul more but may be unsafe who are we to second guess the engineers who designed it. I would think about using a trailer could get two tons in one trip.

Ken Platt
12-03-2009, 3:07 PM
The truck is an 04 chevy colorado.

I like Lee's answer, although it wouldn't be as funny if I actually did it....

I guess I'm just wondering if a couple hundred pounds over is a huge deal, and I realize there might not be any good answer. I was just wondering what went into that number. I was also a bit surprised that it was listed to such an accuracy - 1286, not 1280 or even 1300. I'm wondering if there's any actual testing, with some sort of acceptable deflection of the frame, or if it's just a calculation based on theory, or some other methodology.

If I can go to 1500 lbs, I could do 1 1/2 tons in two trips, which'd save time. Arranging a trailer isn't a practical option for this - I'm not even all that convinced that these things are worth that much beyond regular cordwood, so messing with getting a trailer is a deal - breaker.

Ken

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2009, 3:16 PM
Ken - something else to consider when running at or slightly over load max is your tranny. Unless you have a towing package - meaning a transmission cooler - you could facing some expensive repairs. I have a Chev S-10 and loaded it with fresh cut birch logs and made the 15 miles trip home. Somewhere along the line the transmission gear selection solenoid went out and I limped home in 2nd gear. Wasn't as expensive as a transmission repair - but almost!

Scott T Smith
12-03-2009, 3:52 PM
Typically the first limiting factor to a pickup's capacity is the tire rating. Check the load rating of your tires (it's printed on the side of the tire), and be sure that you are at maximum inflation when you haul your load.

The second limiting factor is the brake capacity. Not being able to stop because you are overloaded is not a good thing... Keep in mind that the more that you put in the bed, the lighter the front end becomes and thus you are losing braking capacity up front due to decreased traction.

The third limiting capacity is the drivetrain, and especially the transmission. This is usually not a factor when the bed is overloaded, because the transmission is matched to the CGWR (combined gross weight rating) of the vehicle, which includes the pickup and a trailer. Usually the CGWR is much greater than the cargo carrying capacity of the truck, so the tranny shouldn't be a problem with just items in the bed.

Tom Veatch
12-03-2009, 4:51 PM
...I'm wondering how much, if any, wiggle room there is in the listed capacity for one's pickup. ...

Depends on how much you trust the engineers who designed the truck. Consider that it's to the auto company's advantage to market the truck with the highest load rating they can justify.

The odd number you have for a capacity is a simple difference between the rated vehicle gross weight and the actual empty weight. Since the empty weight varies somewhat for any given model vehicle based on the various options and equipment permanently installed, you get those "unround" numbers for useful load.

Personally, I try to avoid any significant overload on my 2000 F150. How much is significant? I'd have no qualms about going over the limit by about 5% of the GVW of my vehicle for short hauls on good roads. I don't know the numbers for your truck, but 200# on my truck is within my short haul, good road comfort zone. Much more than that and I begin to get a little nervous.

Randy Cohen
12-03-2009, 5:56 PM
I have a 99 F-150 with a v6 and straight drive and I'm sure I've overloaded it many times. I would watch the springs and be sure they are not bottoming out against the stops. Then drive slowly and deliberately. Or make 2 trips.

Rob Russell
12-03-2009, 6:21 PM
I'm in CT and had a ton of the bricks delivered. It's worth the delivery cost, you won't damage your vehicle and you won't have to mess with the time of loading/unloading the bricks from your truck.

Spend the $50 and have them delivered.

BTW, I do like the bricks - much more convenient than cordwood, at least for me. The pallet of bricks is in the garage - no more shlepping wood for me.

Carlos Alden
12-03-2009, 6:34 PM
You could call the service branch of a dealership and ask them. I wanted to tow a boat that exceeded my Mazda's 3000 lbs. limit by 200 lbs., and asked my service guy. I described the situation to him and he said "no problem if it's really not over that." They know these things.

Carlos

Ken Platt
12-03-2009, 8:11 PM
Thanks, folks, I appreciate the advice.

Rob, I am trying these for the first time, mostly I use regular cordwood that I cut and split myself. Fallen trees (a few of those around today!), etc. I can't do delivery because I am getting these secondhand from someone who bought a bunch and stopped using their fireplace. OTOH, I'm getting them for a discount to current retail.

Tom, I liked your thought on the companies incentive to push up the load capacity. That as much as Steve's story convinced me to just relax and take a couple trips, and stay under the recommended limit.

Ken

Tim Morton
12-03-2009, 8:21 PM
I get those small pelletized wood particles delivered by the ton. Its about 30 miles away and costs me about $60 bucks delivery for 4 tons. Its just is not worth my time to make 4 round trips to save $60.

Is delivery an option?

John Coloccia
12-03-2009, 8:26 PM
Maybe a pickup's just not the right tool for the job. Safety first.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xM6S1O620QE/SNxUeY4zVEI/AAAAAAAABCU/6J3uKvKIG-s/s400/8.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.robotnine.com/2008/09/incredibly-overloaded-motorcycles.html&usg=__bwZDCMkrJZyavXgQ9R_22n1DziA=&h=314&w=400&sz=27&hl=en&start=2&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=1LEX2Eh1aDjiJM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Doverloaded%2Bmoped%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN %26um%3D1

Paul Ryan
12-03-2009, 8:46 PM
Ken,

I didn't tell you to do this, because you are exceding the safe limits of your vehicle. But a few hundred pounds will not hurt that truck. I have overloaded my 1/2 ton dodge many, many times. But you do have to understand that things can break, and maybe it wont be your lucky day. If you have a long way to drive over 30 miles 1500lbs in that small pickup will be plenty but do able. If you have to go farther than that I wouldn't go it. Highway speeds with that much weight in that truck could be a little hairy. If you can go slower and avoid trafic, putting other people in danger, I say go for it. Just be smart. The truck is not designed for more weight than that, but it can do it. Just put some extra air in your tires too, at least 35 psi.

David Freed
12-05-2009, 8:36 AM
One thing nobody has mentioned is the possibility of getting pulled over by DOT police. The chances are extremely low, but I have seen them stop pickups in other states. If they would pull you over, you will be fined and your pickup won't move until you lighten it up to make it legal.

Here is my take on some points allready mentioned.

The chance of breaking something going a few hundred lbs over the rating - very low.

The chance of an accident and getting sued because you're overweight - very low.

The chance of getting stopped by police for a random check - very low

The consequences if any of the above happened could be very high.

With that said, I wouldn't even give it a second thought about putting 1500 lbs in a pickup with that rating. There is always a chance that something could happen, but in my opinion, the overall risk is very low. I have had over 6000 lbs in my 3/4 ton pickup (can't remember the load rating) all the way up to over 90,000 lbs on a trailer rated for 50,000 lbs (only had to go 1 mile).

Brian Elfert
12-05-2009, 1:51 PM
The engineers have to consider warranty repairs and all possible conditions when setting load capacities. They don't want things to break under warranty when the truck is loaded to the rated capacity. They also have to consider what happens when one takes a truck loaded to capacity on a steep grade on a bad dirt or gravel road.

One can probably load the truck somewhat beyond capacity on an intermittent basis on reasonably level paved roads and be just fine. Plenty of folks have been known to way overload pickups day in and day out and be just fine.

mike holden
12-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Everyone,
The load ratings for vehicles sold in America are based on very specific federally mandated tests. The manufacturer *cannot* advertise or advise on using any load that exceeds the results of these tests.
So, the manufacturers design their vehicles to max out on these tests.
Remember that these tests are designed by the same lawmakers who wrote the fuel mileage tests (and we all know how realistic those are).
So, exceeding these capacities are at your own risk.

My point is that the car companies do not fudge the numbers, nor do they leave wiggle room. The numbers are from a federally mandated test procedure.

Mike

Keith Outten
12-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I own a 3/4 ton pickup and I often haul a bit of weight and I also have a one ton trailer. My experience pulling my trailer or with my truck loaded is that the most dangerous issue is people pulling in front of me in small cars with anti-lock brakes. When you leave plenty of space between you and the car ahead of you to be safe ten cars will try to jump in front of you and every one can stop on a dime.

The average Joe or Josey doesn't know that you are running heavy and they don't care. They just want to get to work or back home as fast as they can with little regard for their own safety. It is pretty scary when you jump on the brakes and don't know whether you will be able to stop in time and you see two small children in the back seat :(

The State Police here in Virginia often carry portable scales in the trunks of their cars. If you are pulled over and receive a ticket the fine is shocking.

Make three trips :)

Dave Johnson29
12-06-2009, 12:05 PM
It is pretty scary when you jump on the brakes and don't know whether you will be able to stop in time and you see two small children in the back seat :(

Do you have a trailer brake controller in the cab? I fitted brakes to both axles on my 18' car hauler and a brake controller with slider-control in the cab. When slowing if someone jumps in front I get on the slider and start braking the load first, then the cab brakes. Never had a problem and I have often been at the GVW of 12750lbs.