Belinda Barfield
12-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I before E, except after C. Weird, huh?:p

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2009, 11:23 AM
HaHAHaHahA!!! Love it!

Phyllis Meyer
12-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Not me, don't like them! I usually break them! I can't follow a recipe...I always think this/that would be great to add. I do go the speed limit, and I don't break the law and all that jazz:)

Phyllis

Guy Mathews
12-03-2009, 1:00 PM

That is a deceiving rule to say the least. I have to admit that I tend to hit the ceiling when people use that rule as gospel. However I know that in the literate community it is well received by all who hear it as being an acceptable way to help with spelling.

BTW, acknowledgment of my post constitutes receipt of the aforementioned!

I'm going to hell for sure!:D

Art Mulder
12-03-2009, 1:48 PM

Except after C? What a weird society!

Guy Mathews
12-03-2009, 2:08 PM
Except after C? What a weird society!

I am sure that all of the people on this forum that are named Keith, Neil and Sheila will disagree with the rule! My neighbors do. So do the words listed here.

beige
feint
feisty
foreign
forfeit
heifer
height
heir
heist
reign
rein
seismometer
their
veil
vein
weigh

There are a few others, but I have to bet back to work!!!!

Too much fun!

Alan Zenreich
12-03-2009, 3:16 PM
The accurate rule is: "i before e, except when it isn't"

Bill Arnold
12-03-2009, 4:21 PM
Rules is rules, except when they isn't!

Belinda Barfield
12-03-2009, 4:30 PM
Rules is rules, except when they isn't!

So very true, Bill, so very true!

Brian Effinger
12-03-2009, 5:46 PM
Thanks for the smile, Belinda. :)

Roger Newby
12-03-2009, 6:39 PM
AHEM! "except when pronounced a as in neighbor and weigh"...that finishes the original saying. My high school journalism teacher all but beat correct grammar into all of us...way back in the middle of the last century:D

Belinda Barfield
12-03-2009, 7:30 PM
AHEM! "except when pronounced a as in neighbor and weigh"...that finishes the original saying. My high school journalism teacher all but beat correct grammar into all of us...way back in the middle of the last century:D

Sorry Roger, weird is still an exception to the rule. :D
Unless I've been pronouncing weird incorrectly all these years, which is a distinct possibility. :D

Roger Newby
12-03-2009, 7:49 PM
I agree with you Belinda, just making a statement about "grammatical rules"
When you learn another language you find out just how difficult the alleged English language actually is. I could write for a long time about all of the flaws in grammar and then when you add in the local dialectic characteristics by region and so on it turns into a big bucket of worms. We should just enjoy the oddities of the so called mother tongue and stumble on.

Rod Sheridan
12-03-2009, 8:44 PM
Americans discussing English..................Sheeesh:D

Jim Rimmer
12-03-2009, 9:33 PM
[QUOTE=Roger Newby;1274387 When you learn another language you find out just how difficult the alleged English language actually is. .[/QUOTE]
I am amazed that any foreigner can learn our language. Take the "ough",for instance, and try to apply any kind of logic as to how it is pronounced:
"ough" as in
rough
cough
through
though
:confused: :rolleyes:

Art Mulder
12-03-2009, 11:06 PM

hang on a sec...

AHEM! "except when pronounced a as in neighbor and weigh" ... :D

You mean "neighbour", right?

Now, what were you saying, Rod? :p;):D

Belinda Barfield
12-04-2009, 9:23 AM

Technically, Rod, we're discussing American.:D:rolleyes: I've never claimed to speak English. :D

Bill Arnold
12-04-2009, 9:29 AM
Technically, Rod, we're discussing American.:D:rolleyes: I've never claimed to speak English. :D
Actually, Belinda, don't you speak "Suth'n"? :confused:

Belinda Barfield
12-04-2009, 9:46 AM
Actually, Belinda, don't you speak "Suth'n"? :confused:

That there is the flat out truth, Bill. I do speak fluent Suth'n, Georgia Flatland Piney Woods dialect to be exact. :D Having spent some time in Augusta I can also speak Old South Old Money, which is not to be confused with the Charleston dialect which is Really Old South with Lots of Money.

When called upon to be "professional" I choose to speak American, but I'm here to tell y'all, it ain't nearly as much fun!

Rod Sheridan
12-04-2009, 11:30 AM

That's so true Belinda.

My wife is English, she speaks English.

Apparently I speak Colonial English, which is of course substandard.:D

Regards, Rod.

Eric Larsen
12-05-2009, 11:18 AM

I before E except after C, and when it says "A" like Neighbor and Sleigh. Oh, and Budweiser, too.

"Weird" falls into the Budweiser category.

Kent A Bathurst
12-05-2009, 11:53 AM
......Apparently I speak Colonial English, which is of course substandard........

It's like a virus -your antecedents likely picked it up while they were in town burning the White House :D

Rory Talkington
12-05-2009, 2:11 PM

Rod, I believe that it is "Sheish.":D