PDA

View Full Version : Source for laser cut shapes

Steven Weiner
12-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm looking to get custom shapes cut from 1" thick clear acrlyic. I'm trying to keep the cost at a reasonable price point. I've looked at cnc routing and after cutting, polishing, etc.. the price gets enormous.

If there is anyone on this forum that can cut 1" thick acrylic for me or knows any reliable companies, please let me know.

I'm looking to get moving ASAP!

Dan Hintz
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Steven,

1" is getting up there as far as machine limits for most of the lasers you'll find here, though it is possible. You're probably not going to be happy with edge quality, however, without a final polishing step (flame polishing is a cheap/simple solution here, but not free).

Have you considered waterjet? Almost as intricate as a laser, possibly less kerf (can't say for sure), and post-processing (i.e., polishing) would be about the same as a laser.

Mike Null
12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Some of the plastics suppliers will do this for you. Try ACI, Delvies or any plastics supplier near you. They should be able to do it or tell you where you can get it done.

Steven Weiner
12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
thanks for the replys. I'm in the south florida area and I've ran through most of the internet visible supliers and local suppliers.

I'll try to locate the suppliers you mentioned in your email.

If anyone else on this forum does offer this service, please dont hesitate to contact me! Solicitations welcomed! :)

Alexander Stein
12-03-2009, 3:16 PM
Jack Harper, a fellow creeker, has waterjet cut some numbers for me in the past. You will still need to flame polish if you are going to use clear acrylic. I used frosted acrylic and since the waterjet leaves a frosted edge I did not need any additional edge treatments. Pic is a little blurry...

Steven Resnick
12-03-2009, 4:05 PM
Gemini cuts up to 1".
www.signletters.com (http://www.signletters.com)
800-538-8377
They are a good company to work with.

Good Luck

Steven Weiner
12-03-2009, 4:31 PM
thanks just called them. They seem to be pretty hard core tha they dont sell to sign companies. I'll try to get a friends company to contact them. In this economy, if someone wants to spend money with you, you think they would want to accept it!

Guy Mathews
12-03-2009, 4:37 PM
Steve,

I sent you a PM (Private Message) on this.

Guy

Zsolt Paul
12-03-2009, 11:13 PM
I have a 100W synrad, measuring 115W. I cut 3/4" hardwoods sometimes so I assumce 1" acrylic would also work. I could probably do this.