PDA

View Full Version : Spindle steady/rest - Your favorite?

John Keeton
12-03-2009, 8:48 AM
I have reviewed several threads that have commented on spindle rests, including shop made models. Actually, I found very little in the way of store bought models, as many of you have made your own, and they look great.

But, I really don't want to take the time to source the wheels, and build one. However, if I were doing bowls, it seems that would be a better approach.

I need a 1.5" clamp block, and some of the sources do not state specs sufficient to know if they will fit.

What I would like to have are comments from those that own a store bought spindle steady/rest. I have found the following sources, but I am sure there are others:

PSI http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lsr2.html About $50, but out of stock until late December.

MicroMark http://www.micromark.com/STEADY-REST,8074.html?sc=WGB&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase $32 This one is friction bearing - no wheels. I guess that means it can be used on smaller work?

Sherline http://www.sherline.com/1074pg.htm $40 - no wheels.

Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005000/5652/Spindle-Steady-Rest.aspx $43

Grizzly http://grizzly.com/products/Steady-Rest-For-Wood-Lathe/H5569 $35 This one has a very small spindle capacity.

Oneway (from Packard) http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=lathes-acc-spiste $112, plus I would have to purchase a 1.5" clamp block $15, total $117

Clearly, Oneway's seems to be the preferred model, but I wonder if one of the others would not do just as well for the occasional need that I may have. From my very limited lathe experience at this point, it seems much of what I would like to do will be between centers, but I realize the vortex is strong, unpredictable and capable of mind altering phenomena!:D

Dale Bright
12-03-2009, 9:30 AM
Try Jeff Nicol, a member here on the Creek. The very best I could find for a very good price.

http://www.woodennicol.com/

Dale

Quinn McCarthy
12-03-2009, 9:38 AM
I have the Vega spindle steady. Works great. Pretty beefy little unit.

Quinn

Cyril Griesbach
12-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Looks to me like the ones without wheels are for metal lathes so I'd stay away from them. I couldn't link to the Penn State one. The little ones like the woodcraft link seem too limited in size of spindle. The Oneway, of course, is a great one. You can buy the bowl steady and then just the head of the spindle steady to have both. I don't think you can buy the spindle steady and then the bowl steady head. I don't know why that is but then I don't know the "why" of a lot of things Oneway does.

The one Jeff Nicol makes is also a great style and he'll make it to any size you want and I agree that they are reasonably priced. If you go that route talk to him to see what the minimum spindle size they will work on when the wheels all come together. His will also serve as a bowl steady within it's size limits so that's a plus.

Ted Calver
12-03-2009, 10:45 AM
+1 for Jeff Nicol. I'm very pleased with the one he made for my PM4224.

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2009, 6:01 PM
For the money contact Jeff Nicol. He will build it for your lathe.

John Keeton
12-03-2009, 6:50 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have enjoyed seeing Jeff's work, but I was not even aware that he produced these or even had a website! Guess I should have looked.

In any event, in looking at the pics of Jeff's it appears that while the quality is superb, they are specific to the drive center/bed distance. Were I to upgrade (there is that chance!:D) I may not be able to use that rest. I have emailed Jeff for his thoughts.

Tony De Masi
12-03-2009, 7:06 PM
"Were I to upgrade"

John, please don't pretend:D:D:D

Tony

p.s. - I'm only trying to help.

Jim Paulson
12-03-2009, 7:08 PM
Hey John,

Good conversations about spindle rests. I purchased my Oneway rest a few years ago and I'm very pleased with the results. I especially needed it to turn smaller diameter spindles and for the tall ladder back chair legs.

What I had to do was to slightly adjust the width of the clamp block and that was because my gap was slightly different than the newer models for Delta lathes.

I originally was going to make my own, but opted to purchase one so I could spend more time on the project making side. Like many other things spindle vibration can be due to bunch of things, so the rest helps if the other things are in control. Thank God for concrete bags as ballast and better belts on motors.

Best wishes,
Jim

http://www.chairsbypaulson.com

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2009, 7:17 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have enjoyed seeing Jeff's work, but I was not even aware that he produced these or even had a website! Guess I should have looked.

In any event, in looking at the pics of Jeff's it appears that while the quality is superb, they are specific to the drive center/bed distance. Were I to upgrade (there is that chance!:D) I may not be able to use that rest. I have emailed Jeff for his thoughts.

Hey Bernie....Check this out.....the slack is out of the line.....the hook is set. John is about to find out it is sharp large TREBLE HOOK! FISH ON BERNIE!:eek::rolleyes::D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2009, 7:19 PM
Really nice leg John! How much ice cream or popcorn do think it will hold?:confused::rolleyes:

John Keeton
12-03-2009, 7:25 PM
"Were I to upgrade"

John, please don't pretend:D:D:D

Tony

p.s. - I'm only trying to help.Tony, first I want you to know that I appreciate your HELP!!:D;) You're kind of like one of the kids up the holler from where I grew up. He was always taunting the rest of us whenever we got a hairbrained idea - "I double dog dare ya' " I can still hear him! Trouble is, we took a lot of his dares, and I don't even want to think about some of the stuff we did - some of which involved some dynamite we "borrowed." :eek: Fortunately, most of the witnesses are dead or their whereabouts unknown! Keep tauntin' - ya' just never know.

Jim, thanks for the comments. I have looked at several shop made ones, but it just seems, like you, I want use my time differently. The Oneway is certainly the nicer of the ones widely available. Though, I think in looking at Jeff's, it would serve a double purpose as a bowl steady - were one to upgrade so they could do a bowl or two (Hey Tony - this would be where you would jump in with a "double dog dare!":D:D)

John Keeton
12-03-2009, 7:27 PM
Ken, just saw your posts!! You guys just won't believe me when I tell you I ain't moving up! Just because I am emailing with a guy in Ohio on a lathe means nuthin!! That's my story - and I'm stickin' to it!!!!!:rolleyes:

Robert McGowen
12-03-2009, 7:32 PM
John,

I have 2 of the Oneway bowl steadies. I never really needed the spindle head, but can see where you would need it for a table leg. I use both of the Oneways on opposite sides of a bowl when turning. You can then move one out of the way and slow the lathe down for sanding and such. It has worked out very well for me. I waited and looked around and was able to get both of the Oneways and also the mounting blocks for $200 total. It gives you a lot of flexibility for the price. Good luck with your decision.

Tony De Masi
12-03-2009, 8:09 PM
Just doing my job John.

As for the goings on when you were a kid reminds me of what my dad told me years and years ago about boys being boys. He said many a bad thing was followed some kid saying " Hey guys, watch this!!!!!"

Tony

Wally Dickerman
12-03-2009, 9:18 PM
My favorite spindle steady rest are my fingers. Usually reaching over the top with my fingers half wrapped around the under side of the spindle and with my thumb on the rest or on the tool for support. On some small turnings, reaching a finger under the tool rest....very effective. This sounds uncomfortable and even dangerous. It's not. My fingers are on the under or back side of the spindle and are close to where the tool is working so that there's good support.

Try it

Wally

John Keeton
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Jeff Nicol has emailed me with some ideas, and I think that we will be able to work out a successful solution. Looks like I can use a riser block - were I to upgrade someday (Tony!):rolleyes:

Jeff Brockett
12-03-2009, 10:52 PM
The one I made in my shop is the best one that I have used.

Mike Minto
12-04-2009, 10:35 AM
john, i think the best steady is the one you make. i mean, a store bought is there, done, ready to use, and pretty. a shopmade one is bound to be more specific to what kind of turning you do, and therefore imo more useful. i have a oneway bowl steady, and do use it, but for long hollow forms, you saw my shopmade at http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=125146. works fine for me, and not difficult to make. i blew up that form, however; the bottom half is now an unfinished pencil holder in the shop :o.

John Keeton
12-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Mike, I certainly agree with you and others regarding a shopbuilt steady. Customizing one to task specific goals would be preferable. But, unfortunately, I am not very inclined to do those type things, and I am pressed at the moment to finish the table project I have going before Christmas - along with the other "non-shop" stuff going on with Christmas. After the holidays, I hope to spend more time on the lathe, and want to be able to have a steady ready (poetic?) when I get to that point.

With that in mind, Jeff Nicol is making me one which I think will fit my needs, and give me some flexibility should I upgrade my lathe.

Thanks for the comments, though, and glad you have that neat pencil holder!!!:eek::D;) And, glad no blood was shed in the making!

Harvey M. Taylor
12-04-2009, 1:15 PM
John, think of this:when you upgrade after getting Jeff's steady, let it go with the old lathe. Then, buy a steady specific to the new lathe. How much can you get for a plywood steady? Probably not much, but A metal one engineered for that lathe, hmmmm. You see where I am going with this? Just my thoughts, Max.

Mike Svoma
12-04-2009, 2:23 PM
+1 for Jeff Nicol. Great steady rest from a great guy!

John Keeton
12-04-2009, 2:53 PM
Max, good thought on selling the steady with the lathe. Probably could come out better than way. Thanks for the thought!

Mike, you have joined the overwhelming majority on Jeff Nicol, and I am glad to support a fellow creeker. The order has been placed!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2009, 9:54 PM
Ken I can feel him biting. The hook will be set soon.:eek::rolleyes::cool:;) Yep I can feel it.:D

John Keeton
12-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Ya' think??!?!
http://www.ogmoreriver.com/images/spo01.gif

Jeff Nicol
12-05-2009, 7:35 AM
Thanks to all of you that have mentioned my steady rests! I started out like all the rest of you wanting a inexpensive way to have my own steady rest. It has turned into a great thing for many others! Thanks for all the support and there are others who provide steadies out there, but I am biased so I will say "MINE, MINE" MMMM kind of makes me think of Fantasy island........."The PLane, The Plane"!!!

Thanks and have a great turning day!

Jeff