PDA

View Full Version : Steel wool versus scotch-brite

John Sheets
12-03-2009, 8:41 AM
Hey folks,
I was getting ready to restock my steel wool supply and then started looking at the synthetic steel wools (scotch-brite type). Have you found one to be better than the other for general usage? And why? Or is it the case of a different tool for a different job?
Thanks, JS

Greg Ketell
12-03-2009, 10:58 AM
The main benefit to the synthetics is that they don't break up as much. And this only matters for woods/finishes that react to the pieces of metal left behind. For instance a redwood project with a water-based finish would look pretty bad after a while if you didn't get rid of ALL the metal sanding particulates. The synthetic ones are non reactive.

I've attached a picture of a spreadsheet I did a while a go showing how they grits of the different sanding elements fit together. I hope it helps someone.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134228&stc=1&d=1259855899
GK

Hey folks,
I was getting ready to restock my steel wool supply and then started looking at the synthetic steel wools (scotch-brite type). Have you found one to be better than the other for general usage? And why? Or is it the case of a different tool for a different job?
Thanks, JS

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2009, 6:04 PM
John I prefer the synthetic wool. It doesn't leave residue like steel wool can.

Curt Fuller
12-03-2009, 9:25 PM
I like the scotch brite pads much better than steel wool. I use them in between coats of finish, but rarely on bare wood.