PDA

View Full Version : Elm bowl

Mark Cothren
12-03-2009, 3:34 AM
Turned a NE bowl a while back from a chunk of Elm and lost the bark. Wife persuaded me to finish it up and brand/burn the rim. So here it is... I'm not real crazy about it, but hopefully someone this weekend will like it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/ElmNE01.jpg

charlie knighton
12-03-2009, 4:06 AM
very nice...

Norm Zax
12-03-2009, 7:30 AM
Elegant as always. Here's a thought: when loosing the bark, some of us tend to texture and blacken the rim but in fact the bark was a shade of brown. Why not texture the rim and then paint it dark brown, or a patch work of browns. This may look much more natural. I guess I'll give it a try myself.

Cody Colston
12-03-2009, 7:51 AM
I like it...a lot. I like the burned rim and I like the delicate look. Good job and I'll bet it sells for you.

Mark Cothren
12-03-2009, 8:56 AM
Here's a thought: when loosing the bark, some of us tend to texture and blacken the rim but in fact the bark was a shade of brown. Why not texture the rim and then paint it dark brown, or a patch work of browns. This may look much more natural. I guess I'll give it a try myself.

Norm, I normally don't burn edges so dark/black, but this Elm is some hard wood and didn't take a burn very well. Plus, my burning tool is broke down and I had to improvise a little; so that made it harder to control.

It would be hard for me to put paint on any piece of turned wood...:eek:

David E Keller
12-03-2009, 9:07 AM
I like it. The finish is a little more natural rather than glossy, and I think that fits the piece. I'll be shocked if someone doesn't purchase it.

My wife is always right... chances are that yours is too.:o

Photos from the sale/show would be great if you get a chance.

Michael E. Thompson
12-03-2009, 9:15 AM
Actually I really like the rim. It gives it a nice contrast IMO. The boldness of the black followed up by the soft color of the wood. Looks great!

Mike

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2009, 9:30 AM
Beautiful bowl Mark! I like the textured rim! Great job on centering the wood!

Best of luck with your show this weekend! Where is it at? Photos would be appreciated!

Mark Cothren
12-03-2009, 10:01 AM
The show is the 31st annual Christmas Showcase with the Arkansas Craft Guild held in Little Rock, Arkansas. I participated in 2006 and 2007, but skipped last year. It is lots of fun for me and I get to meet lots of people.

http://www.arkansascraftguild.org/

And the bowl is not centered up very good... but that is partly due to the bark that I lost. This picture shows the lop-sidedness (Did I just make up a word?) a little better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/ElmNE02.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks Mark! Now I like it even better!

Thanks for the link to the show! I see you are a member - how cool is that! See they include a link to Flying Curls! Hope it helps bring in lots of business! A corner booth should work out well! Looking forward to hearing all about the show!

Jack Savona
12-03-2009, 4:34 PM
Don't forget to thank your wife!!!!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2009, 5:47 PM
Thank your wife Mark. That is a great looking bowl. Like the rim.