PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl

Baxter Smith
12-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi,
First post, or at least question in this forum. I really wanted to ask a question about bowls but from the reading I have done here, I guess I'm supposed to post my first bowl before I do. :)
Went to the wood pile on Saturday afternoon and split a piece of maple I hadn't bothered to do last spring. Mounted it on a face plate and this is what I ended up with. Still not dry and had a few small checks but it was just an experiment. Put on some oil and wax. The spaltng made it interesting. Feel free to comment - particularly about my question in my next post which I will start on as soon as I send this!:)

Curt Fuller
12-02-2009, 11:50 PM
That's a beauty! You must have a lot more God given talent than I ever had. I never came close to anything that nice in dozens of attempts. In fact I still struggle with bowls. Nice bowl!

Steve Mawson
12-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Really nice, wish I had a wood pile like that.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm with Curt! You have missed your calling and wasted your God given talents too long!

Excellent first bowl!

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2009, 1:03 AM
Baxter - Welcome to the Creek!!

Very nice bowl - especially for your first! Great looking wood and finish!

Just for reference - you can combine your photos and questions in the same post - as long as they are related. It's a lot easier to answer a question when we have photos to check out.

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2009, 6:06 PM
Baxter welcome to SMC. I am with Curt. I didn't have a bowl that looked that good until I had did a half dozen or so. Really nice looking wood.

Baxter Smith
12-03-2009, 8:52 PM
Thanks guys,
Got lucky on the piece of wood. Cut 3 or 4 few large limbs off a red maple overhanging a neigbors yard last spring. Split the easy ones then left the others to do later. Obviously quite a bit later! This looked like the easiest splitting and turning one of the "others". The combination of a little heart wood and decay was an accidental bonus - but a big one!

Baxter