PDA

View Full Version : Jet Tablesaw and overarm guard question

Keith Avery
12-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I have a JTAS-10 52" saw with the router table on the right end with a mobile base. Is it possible to install a overarm type guard from the ceiling? With my new shop it looks like i won't need to be moving the saw much so I thought this might work. I have a client who recently lost a thumb on a tablesaw and I think I need to start using a guard. I have also wanted a beismeyer splitter but hate to pitch my thin kerf woodworker blade(I love it).

Chip Lindley
12-03-2009, 2:20 AM
Hello Keith. I've seen several overarm blade guards suspended from the ceiling. Some retract by telescoping up. It works great if you can afford to never move your TS. Otherwise the saw will have to be realigned with the guard each time. Maybe a laser *X* to mark the spot?

Bob Borzelleri
12-03-2009, 2:26 AM
I've never looked at a Jet to see if it can easily accept a Delta Uniguard, but that's what I use and I am very used to it. In addition, I never have the sense of being "at risk" when I use it (which is pretty much all the time).

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-34-976-Deluxe-Uniguard-Table/dp/B0000223C8

Robert Reece
12-03-2009, 9:57 AM
Check out a Sharkguard. You have to wait a while as Lee Styron is busy making them, but they are great. I put one on my table saw and I just have the DC hose dropping from the ceiling into the top of the guard. Works great. He can make the bracket to accommodate your thin kerf blade.

Rod Sheridan
12-03-2009, 1:32 PM
A ceiling mounted overhead guard is superior to the Shark Guard since it can be used for non through cuts.

I have an Excalibur overarm guard on my saw, as well as a Merlin removable splitter. If I didn't move my saw to store it, I would have a ceiling mount guard.

Having the splitter and guard completely independent allows you the best safety performance and operational flexibility.

Regards, Rod.