PDA

View Full Version : problem adjusting tracking on Performax 16/32

Michael Weber
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Picked up an older Performax 16/32 a couple of weeks ago and it had no conveyor belt. Ordered a belt (actually two, minimum order) from Industrial Abrasives and installed tonight per directions in manual. Adjusted until tension was about equal on both sides and until I could no longer stop the belt putting my hands on it firmly. Started the conveyor and it tracked slowly (very slowly, takes a couple of minutes to get to the roller edge) to the motor side of the table. Tried adjusting per the instructions. Tightened the side it tracks toward and loosened the other side. Regardless of how much I adjust either side it still tracks toward the motor. I can make it very loose on the outer side to the point I can slip my hand under the belt and very taut on the inboard side but still no luck. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks
BTW the belts from Industrial Abrasives were inexpensive compared to anything else I could find. They were 25.00 for the two plus 7.00 shipping and they will make them from any grit you want.

John Coloccia
12-02-2009, 10:50 PM
1) try flipping the belt over. Sometimes this helps
2) Look at the rubber roller. Is it all chewed up in the middle? Your roller might be FUBAR
3) Try an real Performax (Jet or whatever) conveyor. This will lead us to
4) Call Jet. The first thing they will ask is "Are you using a Performax conveyor?". LOL.

There's other adjustments you can make, but I haven't found that any of them fix a drifting belt. I eventually got a new conveyor bed from Jet. I'm not the only one, believe me. Jet's pretty good these days, though. They'll probably work through the problem with you and help you diagnose it. Are you out of warranty? Anyhow, the whole conveyor arrangement on these things can be difficult to get right, but once it's working it stays working for a good long time. I have to tell you that I have a serious love/hate relationship with mine. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely have bought it used. Good move.

If you get it working, please post back how.

Michael Weber
12-03-2009, 1:37 AM
Thanks for the suggestions John. I'll try flipping the belt tomorrow night and/or use the other belt. It's an older machine, no idea exactly how old. I have a packing list dated in 2003 that's for a replacement manual so some time before 2003. Has a small dust port I need to replace with a 4 incher.

Michael Weber
12-03-2009, 6:47 PM
Okay, still open to suggestions. Tried both new belts in both directions. Rubber roller looks good and is a consistent diameter along it's length. Metal roller also looks good and is consistent in diameter. I can have the motor side very taut and the open end floppy and it still moves to the motor side. I estimate it moves about 1/4 inch or less per minute at maximum conveyor speed. I hate the thought of buying a Performax belt at 55-60 dollars and have it do the same thing.:mad:

Chris Nolin
12-03-2009, 7:23 PM
[QUOTE= Has a small dust port I need to replace with a 4 incher.[/QUOTE]

Michael, a few weeks back I bought a used Performax 16-32 as well. I didn't like the 2.5" dust port, so I ordered a new drum shroud from Jet, thinking that I'd just replace the old small-port Performax shroud with the new 4"-port Jet version. Nope. The hinge system is completely different. The Performax used a metal hinge set with wide spaced mounting holes in the cast aluminum body, and the Jet version uses molded-in hinge halves. I don't see any simple way to retrofit. So I'll have to live with the smaller port. Good thing it's close to the DC anyway. Just thought you should know so you don't make the same mistake.

Jim Kountz
12-03-2009, 7:31 PM
Actually I find the smaller port works just fine with my DC setup. The sander is on the end of about a 20' run of 4" pipe.

Michael Weber
12-03-2009, 8:04 PM
Thanks Chris and Jim for that info about the dust port. I was going to try and cut a 4 inch hole and then adapt a 4 inch fitting. Guess I'll try it first with the smaller port. Of course, that assumes I can find out why the belt won't track. I've tried to imagine why, but it really doesn't make any sense to me. :confused:

John Coloccia
12-03-2009, 8:11 PM
A call to Jet would be good here. I think the rubber roller needs to be a little thicker in the middle than it is at the ends. That's just from memory. The stupid tracking really is the most frustrating part of this machine.