PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Wood Gloat

Michael E. Thompson
12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I have to say, I read posts from many of you that have found some great wood. And I am not ashamed to admit I was jealous, but now I finally have some wood of my own to gloat about.

First picture is ornamental pear, a large branch came down from a storm at a friends and of course I was a good Samaritan and cut up the branch and hauled away all the bigger stuff. Little did they know I had my own agenda.

The second picture is a pile of cherry from another friend from the same storm. Really some beautiful wood. Sitting by the cherry is yew, I think. That what I am told anyway. I have not handled the stuff so I need to do some research.

And the third picture is the mother load as far as I am concerned. A friend work has a brother-in-law who is a logger in Michigan's U.P. and was kind enough to bring me three pieces of 15" diameter X approx. 4' long of some really nice birds-eye maple. I have not cut into it yet, but I can see the figure from the end grain. It was one 12' log, but they had to cut it in sections to get it in his truck. The full length log has been sitting for about nine months and still very heavy. Ends are sealed waiting for me to find someone with a lathe big enough to let me try a large bowl.

Thanks for looking, I am a very excited turner.

Mike

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Congrats and you should be excited with some fine looking wood.

Ryan Baker
12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
That's some great stuff you have there. Have fun turning it. Get it sealed up right away -- cherry cracks quickly.

Richard Madison
12-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Way to go Michael. Good gloat, and some fine turning ahead.

alex carey
12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Congrats on the wood haul, stuff look quite bright red. Looking forward to some finished products.

Michael E. Thompson
12-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Yes all is sealed and ready for blanks. Any suggestions on how to handle the maple. I am still working on a mini lathe and looking for some advise on how to go about cutting it up. Obviously, a typical blank wont fit on my lathe. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mike

Rick Hutcheson
12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Good haul. Can't wait to see how you use it.

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Congrats on your wood score! You really have some nice looking stock there! Personally, I would leave everything in log form until such time as you can turn it. Should help to minimize the checking as long as everything remains sealed!

Time to ask Santa for a bigger lathe!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

gary Zimmel
12-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Great gloat Michael!

Downside is you may be pushing yourself into a lathe upgrade.:D
Enjoy the new found turning blanks..

David E Keller
12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
great gloat... I'm green with envy. I've been turning on a midi(Rikon), and I would recommend that you do as much as possible to balance the blanks prior to mounting... A little extra time on the bandsaw goes a long way. Definitely looking forward to seeing some finished pieces.

charlie knighton
12-03-2009, 4:19 AM
that 1st big wood haul is quite a thrill, believe me it will not go away, and will bring a smile to your face when you reflect upon it :D

Brent Grooms
12-03-2009, 6:59 AM
Get it sealed up right away -- cherry cracks quickly.

I can attest to that! I recently helped drop a cherry tree and within an hour or two, some of the smaller log segments had begun to check, either that or it was a crack formed when the tree was dropped.

Harvey M. Taylor
12-03-2009, 8:56 AM
Michael, where do you live? How about loading it up and coming to Ft. Worth Tx. I will let you use my Powermatic for , say, on the halves. Just kidding, you know. Wish we had that variety of wood here in North Tx. Max

Rob Cunningham
12-03-2009, 9:01 AM
Congrats. Nice looking wood haul.

kenneth walker
12-03-2009, 1:11 PM
where is your location?

Michael E. Thompson
12-03-2009, 2:04 PM
where is your location?

North central Indiana - Between South Bend and Elkhart, about 2 miles from the MI border.