PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever reuse a vanity for the shop?

Matthew Curtis
12-02-2009, 8:30 PM
I have a used vanity that was in our bathroom until we redid it. I was wondering if anyone has used one to make a router table or anything else?

George Bregar
12-02-2009, 8:41 PM
As a storage unit, but ot would make a great sanding station, router table...

Peter Quinn
12-02-2009, 8:42 PM
I made a vanity a few years back as part of a pocket hole assembly class that resides in my shop as a router table presently. It was a practice unit to learn the pocket hole system, and it never actually saw time in a bathroom, but it was the perfect size and height for a router table, so I figured why not. Does that count?

Matthew Curtis
12-02-2009, 8:44 PM
how did you assemble the router top?

Jamie Buxton
12-02-2009, 9:40 PM
Vanities are usually very short. They're built that way so that kids can use them. But adults have to stoop over to use them. Shop furniture should be tall enough to be comfortable for adults.

Myk Rian
12-02-2009, 9:52 PM
Vanities are usually very short. They're built that way so that kids can use them. But adults have to stoop over to use them. Shop furniture should be tall enough to be comfortable for adults.
Put legs on it.

Michael Poller
12-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I just did this very thing. Old vanity from bathroom (I think it was 30" wide IIRC) that we just redid.

Added a drawer where the false drawer front was because of the sink.

Beefed it up a bunch with extra sheets of 1/2" plywood and other bits.

Used pocket hole screws to play with the K3 I had just bought and it was so easy it was ridiculous.

Added some wheels so it's mobile.

Raised it's height on top with some 2x4's and put a cut off from a cheap old dining room table on top.

Then mounted my DW735 planer on top.

It's not pretty but it's temporary, does it's job just fine, and was practically free.