PDA

View Full Version : Captive Monster?

Kevin J Lalonde
12-02-2009, 7:07 PM
I'm looking at the hollowing systems out there. I have been using my neighbors Bosch bars and I like them. But I have had several catchs and was looking at the monster captive system for $500. Should I just purchase the Bosch or pay more and get the monster? Thanks

charlie knighton
12-02-2009, 7:27 PM
if you like the monster but are not thrilled with the $500, take a look at the elbo tool

invented by Stan Townsend of Tulsa Ok,

http://www.elbotool.com

i believe it preceded the monster, and it did not cost $500

Alan Trout
12-02-2009, 7:41 PM
I have done a bit of hand hollowing and find that some sort of captive system is the way to go particularly when a laser is also employed.

Depending on the depth that you want to hollow you can go with the Monster Articulated Hollowing Rig. It is a bit cheaper than the standard captive rig. I have the articulated rig and it will do 99% of the stuff that I like to do.

The Jamieson system is cheaper than the monster and works very well. Or if you or a friend does any metal fabrication a captive rig is pretty easy to build. Lyle Jamieson even has instructions on his web site.

Good Luck

Alan

Kevin J Lalonde
12-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I also just saw that the Pro Form is on clearance at craft supply. Should I be interested in those?

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2009, 10:40 PM
I have both the monster articulating arm and the monster captured unit. I love both of them but if I only could have one it would be the articulating arm unit. When you buy it it is complete and don't have to buy extra's. Easy to use and doesn't beat me up like hand held units do.

George Morris
12-02-2009, 10:49 PM
What Bernie said!!! G

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I have both of the Monster systems and love them! Use the captured system to get the form roughed out and close to finishing, then use articulated for all the finishing cuts. There are a number of systems out there and they are not cheap! So do your homework and find which system will do what you want now but also be there with you as your skills progress.

Mike Minto
12-03-2009, 12:36 AM
kevin, i know it's not a system you asked about, but i too have the jamieson with laser. for me, it works very well; while it is a little, and i say a little 'wiggly', with some of the material being tubular and the main arm is joined to the laser upright with (albeit) heavy plastic 'joints', it's still plastic. but i like it, and wasn't too costly. always a factor!

George Clark
09-01-2010, 3:15 PM
I have both of the Monster systems and love them! Use the captured system to get the form roughed out and close to finishing, then use articulated for all the finishing cuts. There are a number of systems out there and they are not cheap! So do your homework and find which system will do what you want now but also be there with you as your skills progress.

Steve,

I am interested in a hollowing system and have been looking at both the Jamieson and the Monster systems. Would you please elaborate as to why you chose both of the Monster systems. Do you favor one over the other. Given your experience with the systems now, would you have done anything different then? What is the size range of your systems? Any words of wisdom with regard to hollowing systems would be appreciated.

Anyone else with experience with these systems please chime in.

Thanks in advance.

George Clark

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2010, 6:05 PM
Monster is sweet. Whether you get the captured or articulated rig, get the hand held handle with it. That way you can use all of the tooling in a hand held setup if you need or want to. Best of both worlds.

David Woodruff
09-01-2010, 8:41 PM
Buy the best. Usually the most expensive. My philosophy is if you can stretch to get the best. You won't regret it. Fortunately a cranky wannabe lathe, same with wannabe tools is far in my past. It is an absolute pleasure to create hollow forms or whatever in any size and not reach the limitations of the lathe or tools. I consider myself very blessed in this regard. I truly did my apprenticeship on wannabe stuff and actually learned a lot. When I was fortunate to purchase the good stuff my turning took a quantun leap as I was then able to execute the vision without being limited by marginal equipment.