PDA

View Full Version : Wood Storage

Edward Ford
12-02-2009, 5:40 PM
I have the priveledge of being friends with several arborist, in which they give me wood. My question to all of you is, how do store your logs before you rough them into blanks. Currently I anchor seal the ends, but find I they still crack on the ends a bit.

Scott Hackler
12-02-2009, 6:20 PM
Theres not very many longs that wont crack....some, even after anchorseal, but if you can get the logs as long as you can handle... you can just cut off the checking and then slice off what you need. Also, I place my logs where the shade is and sometimes cover them with a tarp to block the sun and wind from drying them out.

Another method is to rip the logs, cutting out the pith before long term storage, but I dont have the time to do this. Between the tree trimmers and the local "limb dump" I have a lot of logs to pick from.

And treat the log ends before any checking starts (or cut the checking off first) and really coat them well.

Hope this helps

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2009, 6:57 PM
Edward - you don't list where you are located - weather does play a part. Like Scott mentioned - cut the ends off the logs first - then coat a couple of times with anchorseal. I store my logs out of direct sun and so far it seems to work just fine.

Edward Ford
12-02-2009, 9:27 PM
Sorry I failed to mention that I am in south eastern part of New York. Most of the logs I get are 2 to 3 feet long 8 to 30 inch diameter. I would need a fork lift to handle anything longer.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I would put a couple of coats of anchorseal on them and store them out of the weather and sun. If mine happen to crack when I get ready to cut them into blanks I cut of the ends a little at a time till I get to good wood and then proceed to cut them into blanks. I will anchorseal them again if I am not going to turn them right away.

Curt Fuller
12-03-2009, 12:01 AM
If you going to store the wood very long you just have to expect some checking. I usually keep the logs as long as I can handle them and store them where it's shady. When I get ready to use some I cut the cracked ends off and throw them on the firewood pile. I used to spend a lot of money on green wood sealer and ultimately had to cut the ends off anyway. I live in a very dry climate so it might be different where you live though.