PDA

View Full Version : Wood Prices

Gordon Niessen
12-02-2009, 4:25 PM
What is a reasonable price for 5/4 Quarter Sawn White Oak?

I am trying to get a fairly large amount (~160 board feet). And I found a place that can get it, but they are wanting $5.50/bdft and a minimum 250 bdft. That is a bit more then i can use for more then I was expecting for rough sawn lumber.

John Keeton
12-02-2009, 4:28 PM
Gordon, you don't list your location, and that means everything when it comes to wood prices. The responses you get here will be relevant only in the locale of the responder as lumber prices vary widely across the country. Including in your profile your general location would help.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-02-2009, 5:27 PM
Gordon,
160 board feet sounds like a lot to a home craftsman but most companies I deal with have minimums. 250 board feet is not all that high a minimum. You can probably find someone to sell you less but the quality of the lumber may not be as good.
Also remember, quarter sawing wastes a good portion of the log as compared to plain sawn or flitch cut lumber. That raises the prices considerably.
Ask if the seller will fill in the balance with a less dear wood like poplar. Before you finalize the quantity, look at the lumber and determine if the waste factor you built into your plans is enough. Also make sure your cut list works well with the lengths he is selling you. Nothing worse than running short.
fmr

Jeff Duncan
12-02-2009, 5:51 PM
Price sounds about right for small quantities. I have several places near me that will sell you 1 stick or 1000 bd. ft., price goes down as the quantity goes up, but they'll sell what you need. Of course don't know where your located so???
good luck,
JeffD

Jason Strauss
12-02-2009, 5:54 PM
Gordon,

As John said, your location means everything. That being said, take your time and look get your feelers out there. I recently purchased just under 200 BF of hickory for $1.75/foot. Until finding that deal, I was quoted up to $3 per BF. Sometimes the smaller or more local outfits will do much better than the bigger guys.

Good luck!

Paul Johnstone
12-02-2009, 5:56 PM

I am trying to get a fairly large amount (~160 board feet). And I found a place that can get it, but they are wanting $5.50/bdft and a minimum 250 bdft. That is a bit more then i can use for more then I was expecting for rough sawn lumber.

That doesn't sound that unreasonable. My supplier at 250 bdft at 4/4 is 4.83 bdft for quarter sawn. Usually thicker boards command a little premium.
In contrast, regular sawn White Oak is only 2.44 bdft. This is for FAS grade. I am in Ohio, by the way.

Try to scour Craigs list or call Woodmizer to see if you have a guy cutting hardwood on the side. Some of these guys even have a kiln. They are often very willing to work with you on special requests.. They'll still charge more for QS, but probably less than retail..

Gordon Niessen
12-02-2009, 6:04 PM
Gordon, you don't list your location, and that means everything when it comes to wood prices. The responses you get here will be relevant only in the locale of the responder as lumber prices vary widely across the country. Including in your profile your general location would help.

I updated my Profile. I thought I already had done that, but obviously not.

Thanks

rob mclaughlin
12-02-2009, 6:37 PM
Gordon,

I have done business with The Hardwood Center in Scottsboro, AL (http://www.hardwoodcenter.com/newservices.htm) . I don't know their price for what you are looking for, but they typically have an excellent selection. You might also try Peach State lumber in NW GA

Gary Herrmann
12-02-2009, 6:59 PM
Look for an urban logger near you. You'll be able to get it cheaper. Try http://www.woodfinder.com/

Scott T Smith
12-02-2009, 7:08 PM
Gordon, I have a business that specializes in milling and drying quartersawn oak, and will send you a PM with more info.

Some facets that set me apart from others is that I offer log matched, tree matched, book matched and side matched boards for no extra cost (when in stock), and also have extremely wide QSO boards in stock (up to 20" wide).

Regards,

Scott

jack duren
12-02-2009, 11:45 PM
I updated my Profile. I thought I already had done that, but obviously not.

Thanks
What part of northern Alabama? I moved to Kansas city from Florence, Alabama

lowell holmes
12-03-2009, 9:16 AM
Houston prices for 5/4 quarter sawn white oak was $6.30 back in June.

scott vroom
12-03-2009, 12:12 PM
San Francisco price for 4/4 qtr sawn white oak is $6.60.

Brad Wood
12-03-2009, 1:16 PM

that is about what I would pay up here in SW WA from a local mill (small private operation). The larger shops would likely be about $3.00 more per bdft.