PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt DW735 Planer dust hose redirection

Michael Poller
12-02-2009, 2:00 PM
Hi All,

Been searching the forums all morning, and I know the answers out there, just not having an easy time finding it. :confused:

As most familiar with it know, the 735 dust port resides directly in the middle above the planers rear end and the hose of course drapes down in the outfeed area. No good. :(

I know I've read posts on here about using PVC or ABS plumbing fittings to redirect the hose off to the side.

What size is needed? Looking to swing by the orange borg later to buy the necessary bits to do this but want to be sure I buy the correct bits.

I'm thinking I'll need a 90 degree elbow to turn it to one side or another, and then a short length of straight pipe to take it off the side of the outfeed.

What size fittings are needed? Will simple 4" off-the-shelf fittings work?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Myk Rian
12-02-2009, 3:15 PM
4" hose fits tight, so I would assume the fittings would. Take the adapter to the store with you.

I just connect a 4" hose to mine and pull it over to the side.

Fred Belknap
12-02-2009, 3:20 PM
I have found that on mine a 4" street L will work. It doesn't go all the way on but it will stay put. Just be careful that you don't break the little button on the top of the original fitting, I broke mine but it still works. You can wrap some tape around it and use a regular 4" piece of pipe and a flex hose, might have to find something to hang the hose on, depends on your setup. Hope this gives you a little help.
Fred

Tom Esh
12-02-2009, 4:41 PM
I just route the hose back 180 degrees and bungee it to one of the top carry handles. I use the same bungee to hold the aux tables upright for storage.

Peter Aeschliman
12-02-2009, 4:51 PM
I don't have that particular planer, but I think you should avoid sharp 90 degree turns.

I have a Jet 13" planer and the stock dust fitting is angled 45 degrees to minimize the same problem you're having.

I've found that even that 45 degree fitting can cause the chips to get stuck where the turn is. So I actually went to a 6" HVAC fitting (modified slightly to fit). It doesn't have a turn of any kind.

Can't you jerry-rig something to hold the hose up and out of the way instead of trying to modify the fitting?

Myk Rian
12-02-2009, 5:59 PM
I dragged mine out to see what fits. Nothing but 4" hose does.
You could connect 4" PVC pipe to it, but it would require a few turns of duct tape to build up the diameter of the fitting. Then the problem would be keeping the PVC attached without the fan blowing it off. You could use screws.

Best bet; stay with the hose and direct it somehow.

Michael Poller
12-02-2009, 6:26 PM
Tom you are the man.

I like it. Keeping it cheap and simple. I think I'm going to try the bungee cord as it's easy to deal with (I constantly switch the dust collector and hoses between tools since i'm not fully plumbed yet) and cheap. And if it breaks, a new one is easily obtained.

Peter - I just turned our old bathroom vanity into a quick and dirty temporary planer stand/tool storage using scrap wood in the shop. Will one day soon build a proper one and will look for a more permanent hose handler solution for it then. Until then I don't want to do much more to this cabinet as it's just not worth the time and effort.

Will try out the bungee cord and report back results but I suspect its going to be the easiest solution for now.

Michael Schwartz
12-02-2009, 6:47 PM
here is a picture of my setup. Photo isn't the best, camera batteries are dead so I had to take it with the webcam on my laptop. That has worked well for me and the hose never really gets in the way.

If that would still bother you I would recommend the expandable hose Lee Valley sells. I use it on my router table fence and it easily holds two tight 90 degree bends. Its pretty fun stuff when you want a hose to keep its shape or to fight around some tight bends.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=62605&cat=1,42401,62597,62604&ap=1

Keep in mind minimizing the number of sharp bends in your dust collection is a good thing since the friction loss is much greater than a very slight radius.

Brian Kerley
12-03-2009, 3:05 PM
I brought mine over to my dad's place to help him with a project. When we hooked it up to the DC, there was a 90 degree elbow that went right on. It appeared to be ABS. The outside was white, the inside was black, and the wall thickness was quite thin.

Steve Kohn
12-03-2009, 8:22 PM
I use a standard 4 inch metal HVAC fitting from the borg. The non-crimped end goes on the machine and a 4 inch hose slides tightly on the crimped end. I didn't worry about the 90 degree bend since the 735 blower motor has almost enough power to blow the chips into the DC bag without turning on the DC.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-03-2009, 9:10 PM
That's a very interesting picture....is that a tlaweD planer? I've heard of them....

;-)