PDA

View Full Version : Toilet seats: round, elongated or large

Stephen Tashiro
12-02-2009, 1:06 PM
I looked for a new toilet seat at Home Depot and Lowes and I find they use terminology "round", "elongated" or "large" to distinguish the various types of seat. "Round" fits my commode, but it doesn't conform to the shape of the bowl very well. "Elongated" is definitely too long. Are there more types of seats than those three?

Jim Becker
12-02-2009, 4:36 PM
Not that I know of. Round and Elongated are usually pretty "standard" and you choose the type for your toilet shape which is also round or elongated. I suppose there could be some brands that are, um...slightly deviated...in shape from others... ;)

scott spencer
12-02-2009, 5:26 PM
The round and elongated seats are proprietary to toilets that are either round or elongated....dunno squat about "large" seats or if there are large bowls available.

Paul Ryan
12-02-2009, 7:04 PM
I prefer elongated, allows the milddle leg to dangle more freely.

Rick Moyer
12-02-2009, 7:39 PM
best bet: trace the seat onto some paper, get the mfg from the toilet and see who sells them. take the traced outline to them and compare with what they have available. quite possible the previous owners put in an industrial toilet. Not all seats are universal.

Stephen Tashiro
12-03-2009, 12:28 AM
I don't mind carrying my folding rule into public places, but a tracing of a toilet seat?

John Coloccia
12-03-2009, 4:13 AM
I'm laughing so hard I practically have tears in my eyes.

"Sir, can you fit this? What's that? Why it's a tracing of my toilet seat, of course....hey, are you feeling OK mister? You look sick all of a sudden....oh hey...wait....ok, now that was totally uncalled for..."

ROFL.

Better go for the large. The last thing you want is for it to be too small.

Sean Troy
12-03-2009, 9:49 AM
I know those elongated ones make a heck of a loud noise when one slips out of your hand in the middle of the night while you are trying to be quite.

Mark Patoka
12-03-2009, 1:38 PM
I don't mind carrying my folding rule into public places, but a tracing of a toilet seat?

You're other option is to just carry the whole toilet seat in with you.

mickey cassiba
12-03-2009, 2:10 PM
At one time the company I work for was also involved in high end kitchen and bath accessories, including toilets. All of our office spaces are built to show off the different types of mouldings and wood products we produce, and the lavatories are no different. We have vessel type sinks, and a collection of the strangest toilets you have ever seen. It's a maintenance nightmare, as most of the valving, and yes, the toilet seats, are proprietary to the model in question. I have seventeen restrooms to maintain, aside from the "normal" employees restrooms, and yes, each one has a different toilet I hunted for three weeks to find a new seat and cover for a European model which had been discontinued. Sort of oval shaped, made me want to sit on it sideways.
Stephen, somewhere on your toilet will be a brand name and model number...google it and the proper seat should be listed in the part list.
Mick

Jim King
12-03-2009, 2:20 PM
Only in America would a group of serious guys be faced with such a daunting dilema. I think the most important thing is that it has a hole in it.

Rick Moyer
12-03-2009, 5:38 PM

I'm laughing so hard I practically have tears in my eyes.

"Sir, can you fit this? What's that? Why it's a tracing of my toilet seat, of course....hey, are you feeling OK mister? You look sick all of a sudden....oh hey...wait....ok, now that was totally uncalled for..."

ROFL.

Better go for the large. The last thing you want is for it to be too small.

You guys can laugh all you want, really, I don't mind, but it's the best way to find the right one. If you (or the Mrs.!) don't want the seat overhanging or underhanging the bowl, you'd better get the right one. I found that even with the tracing taken to the dealer of said fixture, they needed to match up the dimensions before finding the correct one.

Jim Becker
12-03-2009, 8:59 PM
I know those elongated ones make a heck of a loud noise when one slips out of your hand in the middle of the night while you are trying to be quite.

Not the ones in our addition...they all have soft-close. The one in our powder room will be replaced with a soft-close in the recent future, too...

Dave Lehnert
12-04-2009, 12:18 AM
I was in Home Depot and could not find the seat I wanted when a clerk from the Kitchen and bath design dept came over to help. He was able to order me the exact seat for the brand toilet I had in the EXACT color to match. Did not cost any more than stock item and had it in a few days.
So go see the kitchen and bath design guy.

Eric Larsen
12-04-2009, 3:18 AM
I for one would appreciate a line of toilets that are at least six inches higher than "standard."

Tall people need a tall "throne" after all.

Guy Mathews
12-04-2009, 7:04 AM

I would! If anyone questioned it, I would just say that I was making a picture frame for my in laws!:D

Guy

Sean Troy
12-04-2009, 9:33 AM
Not the ones in our addition...they all have soft-close. The one in our powder room will be replaced with a soft-close in the recent future, too...

What is the soft close? I need one of those :)

Brian Elfert
12-04-2009, 9:52 AM
I for one would appreciate a line of toilets that are at least six inches higher than "standard."

Tall people need a tall "throne" after all.

Any place that sells toilets should have taller models too. Anyone who is average sized is not going to like them.

Mick David
12-09-2009, 4:53 PM
As important as the seat size is, check the 'footprint' of your new throne as well. I just replaced one of mine and the footprint is smaller -- you can see a different color on the floor where the old one used to be.

BTW, I picked up the Champion 4 (Consumer Reports best buy) for its power flush. Very quiet but super strong flush. They should all work this way. Seat cover feels like flimsy plastic, but at least it doesn't get as cold as the last one did. ;)

Myk Rian
12-09-2009, 5:42 PM
No help in answering your question, but did you know that these were invented by an alcoholic? :D
They don't slap you in the neck when they suddenly close.
http://www.paulsupply.com/image_resize.asp?intWidth=400&intHeight=400&path=products%5C4080.jpg

Dan Mages
12-09-2009, 6:23 PM
Umm... you are a woodworker right? It should not be too dificult to build a new one.

Dan