PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Question

Jay Jagerson
12-02-2009, 10:19 AM
It looks like I need to get a grinder for the tools. I have read that most people prerfer a 8" grinder.

Will any basic 3450rpm grinder work or shall I need somthing else?

I was watching a video from Richard Raffan (1992?) and he was doing it free hand! I sharpen my drill bits on a 6" wheel freehand but not sure I would want to try that on the turring tools.

Any thoughts on the grinder type?

Thanks

Jay

David Christopher
12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Jay, anything will work BUT I would recomend a 8" 1725 rpm grinder with the wolverine sharpening jig...there's alot of good jigs on the market but I've had really good luck with the wolverine

P.S. make sure you get good grinding wheels also

hope this helps

Cyril Griesbach
12-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Jay, what is probably the most used sharpening system in woodturning seems to be the slow speed grinder from Woodcraft and the Oneway Wolverine sharpening jig with the Vari-Grind. I recommend the Vari-Grind 1 over the newer Vari-Grind 2 as I find it far less "fixed" in application.

As you may guess...there is a reason why this is the most widely used system.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Jay,

In reality, any grinder will work but I would recommend one that has 1" wide grinding wheel.

An 8" is considered better than a 6" because it leaves less of a concave grind on the bevel of your turning tools. There are folks who do successfully use a 6", however.

Generally people recommend a slow speed grinder over 3450 RPM grinder because it eats less metal in a given amount of time. For beginning turners and sharpeners that is a plus. It means they don't grind away as much expensive HS steel while they are learning.

The Woodcraft slow speed 8" grinder is on sale frequently and can be had for around $80. I have had one for nearly 4 years.

I had a minor problem with mine as it vibrated. The solution was replacing one of the nuts that holds one of the wheels on. The drilled and tapped hole in the nut wasn't perpendicular to the face of the nut and it didn't hold the wheel evenly and allowed the wheel to wobble as it was spinning. I found a replacement at my local ACE hardware and it has performed well since then. Others have had some issues but for the money it is a good buy. When issues are involved, Wood Craft has stood behind the product.

I would also recommend one of the grinding jigs systems that are out there. I have and use the Wolverine system by Oneway. The jig allows you to get a consistant grind. Learning to turn is tough. Learning to sharpen and turn at the same time would be the pits! Trying to turn with dull tools isn't fun!

Good luck with your endeavors!

Jay Jagerson
12-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Thank you all, I will be looking for a slow speed 8" grinder.

I have seen some homemade sharping jigs, I may go that route.

Thanks again

Jay

Jay Jagerson
12-02-2009, 11:53 AM
A person can find lots of 3450rpm 8" grinders, the 1750rpm grinders are limited.

I see Harbor Frieght has a 1750rpm 10" grinder. Would the 10" be better? I supossse a person could ad a shim to use the smaller wheels.

Just a thought

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Jay - another vote for the Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder combined with the Wolverine sharpening system. I have had mine for a number of year now and am still happy with it.

When looking for other types/sizes of grinders - remember that you want to replace the wheels and use something finer than the standard fast metal stock removal wheel that comes with most grinders. The Woodcraft comes with proper size grit wheels - so that saves you money as well.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004605/19002/8-Slow-Speed-Grinder.aspx

Just as a reference, I changed the 60 grit wheel that came with the grinder to a 150 grit wheel for fast touch-ups to my gouge edges. Each person develops their own preferences...

Jay Jagerson
12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks Steve, I did not notice the grinding wheels.

Jay Jagerson
12-02-2009, 12:36 PM
I do see many Delta GR450 varible speed 8" grinders around here, would need to get another wheel though.

Any reason one would want the higher speed for anything? I dont really see and anvantage to it but I'm to new to this know.

Sean Hughto
12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Wolverine/Oneway recommends the faster speeds, though I find my 1800 rpm plenty aggressive enough:

http://oneway.ca/pdf/grind_jig.pdf

Joe Adams
12-02-2009, 3:52 PM
I have the complete Tormek system and prefer it to dry grinding. It's great for fast tough-ups with minimal tool loss. However, it does take more time to change cutting profiles than a dry grinder.

If you are new to sharpening, you should definitely use a jig system of some type to get the precision you need. As previously stated, the Wolverine is the standard jig for use with dry grinders.

Wally Dickerman
12-02-2009, 4:05 PM
Had to laugh...Jay, you say that you watched a 1992 Raffan video and seemed surprised that he was sharpening freehand!! Sharpening jigs haven't been around for very long. There was only one thqt I know of in '92 It was used by Jerry Glaser. It was much different than today's assortment of jigs.

You may also be surprised to know that before about 1990 the 4-jaw chuck that just about everybody uses today didn't exist. Guess what....we sharpened out tools freehand and used all sorts of ways to hold a blank to turn a bowl.

Sorry Jay...didn't mean to rib you.

I suggest that you look at the Woodcraft 8 in. slow speed grinder. For the $ it can't be beat. I've had one for several years and like it.

Wally

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Jay I have the Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder. It comes with the wheels you need already on it so don't have to buy those.

Ryan Baker
12-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I do see many Delta GR450 varible speed 8" grinders around here, would need to get another wheel though.

Any reason one would want the higher speed for anything? I dont really see and anvantage to it but I'm to new to this know.

I have and use the GR450, and I don't recommend it to anyone else. The design leads to a lot of wheel wobble. It took a Oneway balancing kit to get it close to useable. I certainly would not buy another one if I were doing it over.

The high (normal) speed is useful at times ... mainly when you are shaping tools and need to remove a lot of material. It isn't a big deal though -- nice to have but not a reason to reject a single-speed grinder (either fast or slow).

I do agree that 8" X 1" wheels are much better, both for the larger radius on the hollow grind and for the increased working area on the surface of the wheel. The slow-speed Woodcraft is a good deal, as long as it runs true.

paul cottingham
12-02-2009, 10:58 PM
On the other hand I have the Delta and it works fine for me so far. Maybe I'm just being naive.

Ryan Baker
12-02-2009, 11:13 PM
On the other hand I have the Delta and it works fine for me so far. Maybe I'm just being naive.

Or maybe I just got the lemon (though I have heard of other bad ones).

Have you changed the wheels yet? Mine was pretty smooth until the first wheel change, and went downhill from there. (It's the inner flange washers and shoulder on the shaft that causes the problem. It prevents the wheel from sitting square to the shaft.)

Sean Hughto
12-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I like my Baldor. I don't have a cadillac lathe, but I do have a darn good grinder.

1800 rpm 8x1 wheels.

If you get one and the Wolverine jig, let me know, as it requires some slightly unusual set up steps to make it all work together (rotating the housings and blocking up the bases).

paul cottingham
12-03-2009, 1:06 AM
Or maybe I just got the lemon (though I have heard of other bad ones).

Have you changed the wheels yet? Mine was pretty smooth until the first wheel change, and went downhill from there. (It's the inner flange washers and shoulder on the shaft that causes the problem. It prevents the wheel from sitting square to the shaft.)

You know, I just changed the wheel and haven't run it yet. Now I am worried.

Jamie Straw
12-03-2009, 1:23 AM
I was watching a video from Richard Raffan (1992?) and he was doing it free hand! I sharpen my drill bits on a 6" wheel freehand but not sure I would want to try that on the turring tools.

Any thoughts on the grinder type?

Thanks

Jay

Jay, I've watched that same video -- pretty cool, eh? I took my first woodturning class in October from Bonnie Klein, she sharpens freehand too. I tried it, but with no success, finallly got the Wolverine jig. I'm sure there effective DIY jigs, but sadly I didn't have time to make one.

My grinder is the same Craftsman grinder that is in that Raffan video, picked up at an auction several years ago, and with all these start-up costs, I can't afford to abandon it. It's only 6", and someday I'd like to have an 8". But with regard to the speed, I have HSS (high speed steel) chisels, and the 3450 rpm isn't a problem, as long as I use a light touch and check to make sure I'm on target, mostly to make sure I don't over-grind a particular area. If I need to check a bevel (the black-marker routine), I start the grinder and turn it off, then touch the tool to the wheel when it's moving at about half-speed.

Get high-quality wheels, it really makes a difference!

Jay Jagerson
12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks everyone. I now really am feeling the Vortex!

I had what I thought was a decent wood shop set up but man there is so much to this. Not complaing as it sure looks fun!

I may just buy a jig!