PDA

View Full Version : Sources for motors?

Randy Klein
12-02-2009, 9:11 AM
I'm considering getting this LV belt sander/grinder (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44884&cat=1,43072). They recommend a 1/8 HP (minimum) motor. They recommend getting a CCW motor such that the belt is turning down in the front. But I plan on using a leather belt on it as well and it seems I should have it turn the other way to avoid slicing the belt. Should I get a reversible motor to handle both directions? Or if I get a motor so that the belt is moving up in the front, will that make grinding more difficult?

Also, where do I even look for these motors at? Anyone have a good source?

Scott T Smith
12-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Some motor sources for high quality motors are Surpluscenter.com, WW Graingers, and McMaster Carr.

Graingers will probably have the best variety and the highest quality.

Dave Wagner
12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Also try ElectricMotorWarehouse.com, I have purchased a couple blower/motors from them.

Rod Sheridan
12-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I have the same grinder and find that having reverse is handy.

I found a furnace fan motor at a surplus center for $20........Rod.

Curt Harms
12-02-2009, 5:31 PM
I saved a motor from a furnace blower. It's shaded pole and doesn't have much starting torque but it's reversible and I could rig a reversing switch if I were so inclined. Know any HVAC people?

John Downey
12-02-2009, 8:18 PM
MSC also sells motors, and as far as I know are less snooty than Grainger about dealing with the public. Of course its also not too hard to find a friend with a Grainger account already....

Peter Quinn
12-02-2009, 8:52 PM
grizzly sells decent motors that reverse, not sure they come that small?

Rick Lizek
12-02-2009, 9:10 PM
www.surpluscenter.com

Don Jarvie
12-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Check flea markets and Clist. I always see 1/4 -1/3 hp 1750 rpm motors at flea markets for 10 to 20 bucks. A little cleanup and new cord and your ready to go.

Bruce Wrenn
12-02-2009, 10:56 PM
MSC also sells motors, and as far as I know are less snooty than Grainger about dealing with the public. Of course its also not too hard to find a friend with a Grainger account already....Lowes has a working relationship with Grainger. Lowes can get it for you from Grainger. But I would look at a "used" motor. At the salvage yard, recently, I paid $5 for a 1/2 HP, 1750 RPM, Nema 48 frame motor. Flea markets, and yard sales are also a good source.

Chip Lindley
12-03-2009, 2:38 AM
1/8hp is mighty tiny! Go for at least a 1/3hp furnace motor. These can be had used for just a few bucks. Never buy NEW when you can recycle perfectly good USED stuff! Check out local flea markets, and local listings on CraigsList. Even eBay has some cheap bargains on 1/3 or 1/2hp motors if you don't mind paying shipping costs.

John Downey
12-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Lowes has a working relationship with Grainger. Lowes can get it for you from Grainger.

That is good to know...

I still have an account that I use about once every two years, Grainger is good for a few things like motors and safety gear, really good ratchet straps... but in many cases the same stuff is available at a variety of stores at about the same price.

I'd probably also look for a used motor, though that can be time consuming. For low hp, old HVAC units are a good source. Out here in the southwest, we also have evap coolers, which use reasonably decent motors in the 1/2-3/4 hp range, though perhaps not up to a high friction app like a belt sander - I think I'd want one with a good run cap for that.