PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic routing

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
12-02-2009, 6:52 AM
Hi

I have a makita router with 21k rpm, often using this router for mdf plaques. when i use acrylic routing, i do find a lot of lines, even after polishing it still exists

We usually, try to remove this lines by knives and peel the acrylic thru hand and polish using emery wheel

Any special tool available for this to reduce time

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Saravanakumar

Frank Corker
12-02-2009, 7:29 AM
Saravanakumar there are basically only a couple of tools that can fix those. One is a very expensive machine called a diamond edge polisher which will give you the best result. The next is a flame polisher or microflame generator. Oxyocetelene equipment can do the same but the heat is a big problem or you could use a blow torch with a small flame.

Mike Null
12-03-2009, 9:33 AM
Would it be of any help to put a fabric pad on the base of the router before doing acrylic?

Guy Mathews
12-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi

I have a makita router with 21k rpm, often using this router for mdf plaques. when i use acrylic routing, i do find a lot of lines, even after polishing it still exists

We usually, try to remove this lines by knives and peel the acrylic thru hand and polish using emery wheel

Any special tool available for this to reduce time

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Saravanakumar

Saravanakumar

Are these lines scratches from the router base or are they from the cutter that you are using?

Guy

12-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi,

The cutter is producing this scratch like lines , we need use a knife to level the acrylic on sides and then buff

I have drawn from corel to express my problem , as i am not able to get clear picture thru camera

Neal Schlee
12-07-2009, 1:08 AM
Hi,

The cutter is producing this scratch like lines , we need use a knife to level the acrylic on sides and then buff

I have drawn from corel to express my problem , as i am not able to get clear picture thru camera

Have you tried a Multi-Grind Solid Carbide Spiral "O" Bit?
These bit give a very good finish when cutting acrylic. Many Bit suppliers offer these bits, they are spendy tho.

Neal

12-08-2009, 8:38 AM
Thanks a lot

Let me try and give a feedback

Regards
Saravana kumar