PDA

View Full Version : Finally...

Rick Potter
12-02-2009, 2:43 AM
I looked at Woodmaster drum sander ads for several years. I wanted one and followed the pricing and the never ending 'sales' for about two years. One month they would have a sale price, another month they would have a mobile base or some other extra thrown in, etc. After two years they finally had a sale price, free mobile base, free reversing switch, and best of all..free shipping.

So I bought it...a 36" single drum unit of my dreams. Sold my Delta 18" unit to the son in law. There is a thread out there somewhere about picking it up at a depot and getting the 1200# carton off my truck.

Anyway, that was over six years ago. Right after I got it, my folks got sick, and I had full time family obligations for 2-3 years, then we moved and had to build a new work shop, then we remodeled, then we added on to the new house. The upshot of this is that I have a brand new 6-7 year old drum sander that has never been plugged in. I had the outlet, but needed to make an extension cord. Obviously it is long over the warranty, and I didn't even know if it ran.

Tonight was the night. I put together a 30 amp extension cord and plugged it in.

IT RUNS!! I am just starting the cabinets for the remodel, and ran some rails and stiles through it to tweak the thickness. Tomorrow I will assemble and run my first face frame through it (63" long/30"hi).

Better late than never. Does this qualify as a delayed gloat?

Rick Potter

daniel lane
12-02-2009, 2:49 AM
Congratulations, Rick! I know how you feel, having kept things in boxes for far too long after purchase because of moving/etc. I think it definitely counts as a gloat, delayed or not. Good luck with your new(ish) toy!

daniel

Don Morris
12-02-2009, 4:48 AM
How does that go...Better late than never...Enjoy!

Philip Johnson
12-02-2009, 6:56 AM
Now that is patience most people have trouble waiting a few days for a new tool to be shipped. Congratulations on the "new" tool.

Phil

John Keeton
12-02-2009, 7:52 AM
I can't begin to express the grief that most of us would get from our lovely wives, were we to buy a tool that size/cost and not use it for that long!! You are a lucky man!

A belated congrats to you, Rick.

Sam Layton
12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi Rick,

Glad to see you finally got your sander up and running. Not everyone has a 6-7 year old brand new tool...

Sam

David DeCristoforo
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I think you will be very happy with the Woodmaster sander. I've had one in my shop for a decade and I have used it extensively. It's a fine machine. Just remember, it's a sander, not a planer!

Phil Thien
12-02-2009, 10:41 PM
I commend you for knowing what you want and hanging in there till you get a chance to take advantage of your purchase. Enjoy it!

And I look forward to pics of the projects you make w/ it.