PDA

View Full Version : Power Feeder for Band Saw?

David Benavidez
12-01-2009, 11:49 PM
I recently purchased a Model 81 Powermatic Band Saw 20". I am thinking of mounting a power feeder to it. Anybody have any suggestions or ideas concerning this idea. Thanks Dave

Mike Heidrick
12-02-2009, 12:18 AM
How much resawing are you doing? Have you done?

Ever consider a Laguna Driftmaster fence?

Bruce Page
12-02-2009, 12:26 AM

Good question. I don't think it is worth the investment unless you plan on doing a lot of re-sawing.

Simon Dupay
12-02-2009, 2:04 AM
Nice bandsaw! +1 on just leaving it a power feeder is almost a grand for a bandsaw.

Philip Johnson
12-02-2009, 7:34 AM
There was a thread on here a while back about the power feed made for band saws, I think there was an issue with mounting it, there is not much room on a band saw table. But he did get it to work.

When I was shopping for a new band saw minimax sent me some pics. One has them using a regular power feed, one for a shaper or table saw. They just position the tool with the power feed near the band saw and use the power feed mounted on the shaper. I asked them how it worked and he said great just leave it on the lowest speed. I think when the time comes I need a power feed on the band saw I will just roll the shaper over and use that one.

Phil

Scott T Smith
12-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Here is a link to a thread about a power feeder installation that I did for a friend on a Laguna BS:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/bandsaw-power-feeder-installation-12561/?highlight=power+feeder

I had a 24" Grizzly bandsaw with a power feeder, and for resawing wide or long boards the power feeder was a great accessory. When not resawing, it tends to get in the way for scroll work.

David Benavidez
12-02-2009, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the link...thats a cats meow for sure!

Dave

David Benavidez
12-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Here is a link to a thread about a power feeder installation that I did for a friend on a Laguna BS:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/bandsaw-power-feeder-installation-12561/?highlight=power+feeder

I had a 24" Grizzly bandsaw with a power feeder, and for resawing wide or long boards the power feeder was a great accessory. When not resawing, it tends to get in the way for scroll work.

Scott, thanks for the link!.....after watching the video at Laguna I became totally impressed with there Fence System and Re-Saw Blades. I was in the tree service business for years and am currently retired, but not before stashing away some quantity board feet of hardwoods. Now it is time to play before this the clock runs out. BTW....do you recall the brand name on that power feeder?

Scott T Smith
12-02-2009, 7:23 PM
Scott, thanks for the link!.....after watching the video at Laguna I became totally impressed with there Fence System and Re-Saw Blades. I was in the tree service business for years and am currently retired, but not before stashing away some quantity board feet of hardwoods. Now it is time to play before this the clock runs out. BTW....do you recall the brand name on that power feeder?

David, it was a Comatic. The power feeder was the exact same as the Grizzly model that I had installed on my saw - just a different color paint.

John Harden
12-02-2009, 7:33 PM
There was a thread on here a while back about the power feed made for band saws, I think there was an issue with mounting it, there is not much room on a band saw table. But he did get it to work.

When I was shopping for a new band saw minimax sent me some pics. One has them using a regular power feed, one for a shaper or table saw. They just position the tool with the power feed near the band saw and use the power feed mounted on the shaper. I asked them how it worked and he said great just leave it on the lowest speed. I think when the time comes I need a power feed on the band saw I will just roll the shaper over and use that one.

Phil

+1. I have a large, 220V power feeder on my Saw/Shaper. If I ever had the need to power feed on my MM20, I'd just roll it over next to the saw and turn the feeder around and use it that way.

I also agree with the thought that it is overkill unless you're doing a LOT of resawing or some other work that really required it.

Regards,

John

Peter Quinn
12-02-2009, 9:27 PM
CHeck the Comatic web site for info on the BS feeders. Grizzly and most others that are not Italian are made by comatic. I don't think anybody else actually makes them? Its either Maggi/Steff or comatic. But man, its an expensive proposition for a non commercial enterprise either way. Have you tried a good fence, a good blade and a hand feed? I made my resaw fence for $0.98, a few stacked feather boards, and viola. If you are doing a lot of veneer work I'd rather have a good drum sander or wide belt than a power feeder and a tricky fence personally.

Oh, beautiful old Powermatic there by the way!

http://www.co-matic.com/products.php?Class=0007

doug faist
12-02-2009, 9:39 PM
David - I have to second Peter's comment on this one. I got an Agazzani 18" several years ago and have used the stock fence for resawing. After a careful tuning and with a sharp blade, there is no drift. I've cut veneers to about 0.030" with just some home made featherboards and a gentle feed rate.

You might want to try some cutting for a while before you invest a truckload of money for a power feeder and a Driftmaster.

Good luck with your decision.

Doug

Simon Dupay
12-02-2009, 9:39 PM
CHeck the Comatic web site for info on the BS feeders. Grizzly and most others that are not Italian are made by comatic. I don't think anybody else actually makes them? Its either Maggi/Steff or comatic. But man, its an expensive proposition for a non commercial enterprise either way. Have you tried a good fence, a good blade and a hand feed? I made my resaw fence for $0.98, a few stacked feather boards, and viola. If you are doing a lot of veneer work I'd rather have a good drum sander or wide belt than a power feeder and a tricky fence personally.

Oh, beautiful old Powermatic there by the way!

http://www.co-matic.com/products.php?Class=0007

Hotz-Her makes the power feeders too