PDA

View Full Version : Here went this years tool budget!

Dick Parr
10-04-2004, 5:16 PM
Well I blew the rest of this years tool budget, :eek: but I couldn't stop. :p This should do me for the rest of the year, :confused: ya right. :D I really like the Multi Tip Shear Scraper and the little Micro Shear Scraper. I got that 3/8" Fingernail Spindle Gouge last week and forgot it was a fingernail and when I went to sharpen it I lost the tip. :eek: So I needed a Vari-Grind Jig, and while I was at it I got the one for the skews also. Now my Wolverine Jig is complete. :p It looked so good I had to have the Sorby Sandmaster. The Renaissance Wax is great stuff to use and gives a fantastic shine. The Ambrosia Maple block was a birthday gift from a friend and the 5 spalted maple blocks were from my first experience on Ebay, which was ok and I got my moneys worth, but I don't think I want to get started on there. It could get real easy to get hooked.

The second picture is the last two gloats together. Now I see why my tool budget went to in a hand basket. But ya got to love them sales. :D :D

Michael Stafford
10-04-2004, 5:23 PM
There is a good side to it Dick. You won't be in any bars for a while. With all that pretty wood, new tools and sharpening equipment I will bet you'll be staying close to home. I can't wait to see the spalted maple bowls. Have fun...

Wes Bischel
10-04-2004, 5:30 PM
Dick,

I guess we both need to work on either enlarging the budget, or making it stretch to the end of the year! :D :rolleyes: Thanks to sharp eyes here on the Creek, I picked up a bunch of good deals for tools on my "in the near future" list which took care of the 2004 budget last month.
It looks like you are well on your way to having a full set of tooling for your lathe - nice tools I might add.

Congrats - and good presentation in the pics - I'm sure Tyler and Chris will appreciate it. :D

Wes

James Carmichael
10-04-2004, 6:15 PM
Well I blew the rest of this years tool budget, :eek:

Now Dick, if I did a forum search, I bet I could find where you've said the same thing at least once before this year :rolleyes:

Of course, I'm guilty of it, too. ;)

Congrats & enjoy the new tools!

John Miliunas
10-04-2004, 11:17 PM
You see there, Dick? You not only brought in a great haul, you covered yourself for the next purchase! :D You wrote: "This should do me for the rest of the year...". 'Ya see? "Should" is the operative word here! :D Yeah, and I "should" leave my wallet at home the next time I go to Woodcraft! Like that'll ever happen! :) :cool:

Jim Ketron
10-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Great grab Dick!
Hope your not in the doghouse when LOML gets back!
Jim

Dick Parr
10-04-2004, 11:47 PM
You are right about that John. :D

Jim, she doesn't know what I have in the shop, and I want to keep it that way. :p I have a friend that is always lending me stuff and when she askes where that tool came from, I just say Paul let me barrow it. :D

Jim Ketron
10-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Sounds like a Good plan Dick I'll have to remember that one;)

Jim

Norman Hitt
10-05-2004, 1:52 AM

Jim, she doesn't know what I have in the shop, and I want to keep it that way. :p I have a friend that is always lending me stuff and when she askes where that tool came from, I just say Paul let me barrow it. :D

Hey Dick, Stick with that story, 'cause I know it works real well. I owned 1/4 th of an airplane many years ago for over two years and my wife thought it belonged to my friend and a couple of other guys. I told her that they just let me fly it and pay for the gas because I had reupholstered it for them, (which she knew I had done). My friends AND their wives thought I was a real chicken $#!^ for not telling her, but their wives were on them constantly about the costs, while mine just loaded the kids up and was happy as a pig in mud when we wanted to go somewhere, and I didn't tell her til AFTER I sold my share. She just laughed and said she had no Idea I could keep a secret that well and also keep one of the others from telling her. I just knew I didn't want to listen to that Red Head every month when the bills came due.

Gary Max
10-05-2004, 6:15 AM
That last trip to the big city done me in for the year.
Money tree ain't looking to good.
Maybe it will grow better in the spring.
Dick let me know how that sander works out. I have been looking hard at them.

Steve Clardy
10-05-2004, 11:41 AM

Hmmm. Sounds like some of the stories I have unloaded on my wife.:eek:

And--If She really knew whats hidden in this shop:eek:
Guess She will find out when I croak and She has an auction------:confused:

Steve:)

Dan Gill
10-05-2004, 12:08 PM
You have a tool budget?!! Wow! I just seem to react to needs and try to explain to my wife why I need something.

Ned Bulken
10-05-2004, 2:53 PM
nice haul!

Tool budget? what's a tool budget? Find a project that swmbo needs and justify the tool into building that for her. I tried that recently, unfortunately I'm still looking for the tool I 'Need' to build the new kitchen cabinet(s)

Dick Parr
10-05-2004, 5:22 PM
Hmmm. Sounds like some of the stories I have unloaded on my wife.:eek:

And--If She really knew whats hidden in this shop:eek:
Guess She will find out when I croak and She has an auction------:confused:

Steve:)

That is what I thought Steve. She just has more assets then she thinks she does. :D :p :D

Ned;

That worked the first couple of years, but she won't buy that anymore. :p

Chris Padilla
10-05-2004, 7:17 PM
You know something, we all must think our wives are pretty thick sometimes. I think they are just ACTIN' like they have no clue some times. The more sure you are that you've fooled the missus, the more sure she knows! :o

Dominic Greco
10-05-2004, 7:37 PM
Dick,
You know, this kind of thing happens to me all the time! I've learned to have a very open tool budget. You know, now that I think of it, I think I've already dipped into 2006's budget! :>)

Good snag on the tool haul. I think you'll enjoy the Sorby Sandmaster. I've been using mine now for about 3 years and love it. Just remember not to have the bowl rotating too fast when sanding. You can ruin that Velcro pad easily by heating it up too much (DAMHIKT). But no worries. Packard Woodworks sells a 2" pad that fits in perfectly. That Sorby sander is great for the finer grits like 220 up to 600. I use a Milwaukee right angle drill/sander for the lower grits.

And you can't go wrong with the Wolverine Jig. I use mine so much, I think I'm wearing out the fingernail jig!

BTW, I think the first order of business should be the crafting of some fine gifts for a certain someone (or her mother). I found that this "tactic" helps to alleviate some of the tension.

Dick Parr
10-05-2004, 8:59 PM
Chris,

I learned a long time ago that the only person I am really fooling is myself. :eek:

Dom,

I know you are right, but there is no place left to put anything for her. I have done this so many times, that she already has everything. :D

James Carmichael
10-05-2004, 10:21 PM
...I think they are just ACTIN' like they have no clue some times. The more sure you are that you've fooled the missus, the more sure she knows! :o

Too true Chris! They're just waiting for the opportune moment to let you know you haven't gotten away with anything, like when they've spotted a new bedspread with matching sheets, curtains, towels, etc, in the Pottery Barn catalog.

Dick Parr
10-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Oh Man, I hate that Pottery Barn and all the stores like it. :eek: We have a couple close by and each trip in there costs, allot. :(

Thanks for reminding me James, I'll use that on her if she says anything. :D :p