PDA

View Full Version : New way to hollow out a round tray..... maybe

keith ouellette
12-01-2009, 11:33 PM
I was reading Johns post about using a template to make the edge of the round hollowed out tray a uniform thickness and was wondering how to make the template..

Then I thought of an idea.

If I hollow out most of the tray and then
If I mount the round tray on a lazy susan bearing and then mount the router above the tray near the edge I can lower the router bit into the tray and turn the tray around to remove the part near the edge so it will leave a trim of a uniform thickness.

Does that sound like it would work or am I missing something?

John Harden
12-01-2009, 11:54 PM
It might work, but I'd be concerned about the router catching and flinging the tray and your lazy susan. Typically, you'd have the tray sitting on a high friction pad. Your arm strength and weight of the router provide security and stability from this orientation.

If you mount the tray on a lazy susan, you'd have nothing to really grasp on to to keep it from flying off on you.

Just my .02

Joe Scharle
12-02-2009, 8:53 AM
Although it's much simpler on a lathe, some times the piece is too large and a router is the next best thing. I made a candle stand top using a circle jig, straight bit, roundover bit and a dish cutter, like this:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/graphics3/topdish.jpgUsing the circle jig, cut the circle out with a straight bit. Ease the outside with a roundover bit. Define the inside circle with the dish cutter bit.
Now you can mount an oversized base such as your router table plate, or use a straddle jig to waste out the rest.
This is a big bit and will launch something if you get aggressive.

Prashun Patel
12-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Be very careful with that method, Keith. I did something similar and had a close call. The bit can grab and pull the piece from you easily.

I think you'd have better luck with a router on a trammel arm. Mount the pivot to the center of the piece and hog out the edges BEFORE the center. Then you can waste away the center using an oversized subbase for your router or sliding rails.

Curt Harms
12-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Although it's much simpler on a lathe, some times the piece is too large and a router is the next best thing. I made a candle stand top using a circle jig, straight bit, roundover bit and a dish cutter, like this:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/graphics3/topdish.jpgUsing the circle jig, cut the circle out with a straight bit. Ease the outside with a roundover bit. Define the inside circle with the dish cutter bit.
Now you can mount an oversized base such as your router table plate, or use a straddle jig to waste out the rest.
This is a big bit and will launch something if you get aggressive.

WoodCraft has a $10 off $20 or more plus free shipping. I got a Whiteside bowl bit for $19.99 all up. I don't remember where i found the coupon code, unfortunately and don't have time to look for it. A search on SMC might be fruitful, not sure. An episode of Woodsmith Shop had making an oblong bowl with a router as the topic. They used templates as I recall.

Danny Thompson
12-02-2009, 11:15 AM
The Woodcraft $10 off on $20 purchase coupon code is 12249 and is good through Christmas Eve, at least that is what I understand (I make no warranties).

They also have a kit for $99 that includes a bowl bit, collet extension, and a couple of templates. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021139/24730/CMT-Bowl-and-Tray-Router-Template-Kit-CMT-BTS-001.aspx

Paul Atkins
12-02-2009, 12:19 PM
I've seen it done. Will Maloff came to our shop for a couple of months and made a few tables up to 4'. He made a motordriven turntable with a hand cranked router arm. It worked great with low tech parts. Go to his web site
(http://www.willmalloff.com/page5.html ) to see the results. They had a lip ( to keep the spilled beer from falling on the floor) and the center was perfectly flat.